[meteorite-list] AW: meteorite photography scales & more

From: Norbert Classen <trifid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:51 2004

Hi Jose, Tom, and all,

Jose asked:

> But why the N1? Could the 1 (or a vertical line) be there to help
> place the cube correctly in order to avoid confusion with a Z?
> And what about the S1 (or a vertical line)?

Again, it's rather simple - it's a point of reference for the photos
that are taken in a flat angle (where you don't see the top of the
cube). The point or "1" simply shows where the bottom of the cube is
located.

For those who are bit slow, today - if you turn the N or the S upside
down it's still an N or an S, and so you need an additional mark to
know it's correct position in 3D space. That's all.

Tom wrote:

> We do not seem to know for sure what the letters on the cube stand
> for, so do they even need to be there? Can a blank cube work?

Of course, a blank cube will do the job, but - believe me - I wasn't
joking about the meaning of the letters: they actually stand for
Top, Bottom, North, South, East, and West.

Brice asked:

> Okay, but where can I purchase one? Someone on here must have a
> "spare"...

As far as I know, Bob Verish had some for sale, but maybe he's out
of the cube business by now? Bob? Some people are in need of a few
metric cubes! Please help these guys, or they will end up inching
their own ;-)

Best,
Norbert