[meteorite-list] OFF TOPIC - Unusual

From: Tom <michguy7_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:53 2004

--B_3145962485_1347328

> Very nice pictures, I wish they were here in Michigan but I doubt it woul=
> never happened here.
>=20
> Tom P.
>=20
>=20
> WARNING: This is off topic, so, some/many of you may wish to hit
> your delete button.
>=20
> Yesterday (Sept. 8) a very unusual occurrence took place in my
> yard: A flock of a dozen parrots came to eat my leftover sunflower
> seeds!=20
> When I went out to pick up the paper at about 8 AM I was alerted
> when a neighbor lady called out to me, "Mr. Blood, there are parrots in
> your sunflowers!" And, to my delight and amazement, there were,
> indeed, parrots feeding off the Russian Giant Sunflowers! I had left
> most of them to dry in the sun, even though the birds had been eating
> them=8A. but I had surely never seen parrots doing so.
> In fact, there were twelve of them =AD an entire flock. And
> beautiful they were, indeed. Most amazing, they were clearly
> all the same species.
> I grabbed my camera and went out to get some photos. You can see
> most of the photos I captured of these beautiful creatures at:
>=20
> http://community.webshots.com/album/89632975MfUNTL
>=20
> (Particularly nice are photos # P16 & P15)
>=20
> I later researched the species. They had beautiful blue
> heads, orangish top beak and near black bottom beak with
> a little blue in their underwing and red in the underside of
> some of their tail feathers. Their legs and feet were flesh
> colored and when I later examined their photos closely, I
> could see no bands on any of their legs, indicating they likely
> escaped bird importers in the Tiajuana area and/or have
> bread in the wilds of this area. They turned out to be Sharp-tailed
> Conures (Aratinga acuticaudata) which are native to Brazil,
> Bolivia, Uruguay and Argentina. So, they are clearly an escaped
> flock that have naturalized in the area.
> It is very rare to see parrot flocks in San Diego, but one
> hears of them appearing here & there on occasion. Usually,
> however, such flocks are reported to contain mixed species
> of parrots, presumably attracted to their own kind having
> escaped captivity individually. This is the only occurrence
> I have been aware of where an entire flock was the same
> species.=20
> In any event, I will certainly be planting more sunflowers
> next year!=20
> Best wishes, Michael
>=20
> =20
>=20
>=20

--B_3145962485_1347328

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [meteorite-list] OFF TOPIC - Unusual</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Arial"><TT>Very nice pictures, I wish they were her=
e in Michigan but I doubt it would never happened here.<BR>
<BR>
Tom P.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
WARNING: This is off topic, so, some/many of you may wish to hit<BR>
your delete button.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yesterday (Sept. 8) a very =
unusual occurrence took place in my<BR>
yard: A flock of a dozen parrots came to eat my leftover sunflower<BR>
seeds! <BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;When I went out to pi=
ck up the paper at about 8 AM I was alerted<BR>
when a neighbor lady called out to me, &quot;Mr. Blood, there are parrots i=
n<BR>
your sunflowers!&quot; And, to my delight and amazement, there were,<BR>
indeed, parrots feeding off the Russian Giant Sunflowers! I had left<BR>
most of them to dry in the sun, even though the birds had been eating<BR>
them&#8230;. but I had surely never seen parrots doing so.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;In fact, there were twelve of them &#8211; an entir=
e flock. And<BR>
beautiful they were, indeed. Most amazing, they were clearly<BR>
all the same species.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I grabbed my camera and went out to get some photos=
. You can see<BR>
most of the photos I captured of these beautiful creatures at:<BR>
<BR>
http://community.webshots.com/album/89632975MfUNTL<BR>
<BR>
(Particularly nice are photos # P16 &amp; P15)<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I later researched the species. They had beautiful =
blue<BR>
heads, orangish top beak and near black bottom beak with<BR>
a little blue in their underwing and red in the underside of<BR>
some of their tail feathers. Their legs and feet were flesh<BR>
colored and when I later examined their photos closely, I<BR>
could see no bands on any of their legs, indicating they likely<BR>
escaped bird importers in the Tiajuana area and/or have<BR>
bread in the wilds of this area. They turned out to be Sharp-tailed<BR>
Conures (Aratinga acuticaudata) which are native to Brazil,<BR>
Bolivia, Uruguay and Argentina. So, they are clearly an escaped<BR>
flock that have naturalized in the area.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;It is very rare to see parrot flocks in San Diego, =
but one<BR>
hears of them appearing here &amp; there on occasion. Usually,<BR>
however, such flocks are reported to contain mixed species<BR>
of parrots, presumably attracted to their own kind having<BR>
escaped captivity individually. This is the only occurrence<BR>
I have been aware of where an entire flock was the same<BR>
species. <BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;In any event, I will certainly be planting more sun=
flowers<BR>
next year! <BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Best wishes, Michael<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
<BR>