[meteorite-list] Cold hunting?

From: David Freeman <dfreeman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:53 2004

Dear Norm, List;
After four years of cold hunting, bingo, blessed with PTK "Post Tucson
Karma", and found my first one, an L-6 chondrite.

So, I really feel that the optimum conditions of soft dry sand with
little or no moisture, and in a blowing area one square mile in size
that the top three feet has been completely removed by wind erosion
would have a couple of meteorites...if the annual rain fall was less
than 10 inches. But, things get blurry in a hurry if the sand blows up
parabolic dunes, then, half the "good" three foot zone has been buried
even deeper.
One has to guess that a life expectancy of say, maybe 20,000 to 30,000
years as a rough guess of length of accumulation with out major loss of
the specimens shape SHOULD yield a couple of meteorites, maybe a number
of golf ball sized and a couple of soft ball sized.....in MY opinion.
 H.H. Nininger thought there were a number per square mile an again
minus the humidity, if they landed in a sand area, or in a swamp, in the
woods or a regularly plowed field.
Note that while traveling across Kansas where H.H. hunted and got the
word out really well, that there is the name of a town with a meteorite
associated with it about every 20 miles across I-70.
I seem to determine in my travels that stopping to look at all likely
places WILL produce eventually. Only took me four years, and maybe four
hundred hours in that time to come up with one.
Maybe we could generate a little PDK Post Denver Karma by attending the
Denver show!
Best,

DAve F. (now aligned with the IMCA and the AARP)