[meteorite-list] Cold hunting

From: Zelimir Gabelica <Z.Gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:54 2004

Rob,

I was not aware the someone really did try to plow Sahara or Antarctica as
farmers do with theirs fields. If someone did, was it by purpose to search
meteorites underground? I would rather believe that, because of hostile cold
and warm desert conditions, most of the search was just done on surface...

Best,

Zelimir

>On the same subject, Zelimir Gabelica wrote:
>
>> I believe Mark is perfectly right by saying that most meteorites
>> are lying below the soil surface. I did not make any compiling
>> but I guess if you go through all the Met. Bull's reporting
>> meteorite FINDS, I am pretty sure that about (at least ?)
>> half of them were found through plowing some field.
>
>You're forgetting about NWA, and more importantly Antarctica. The
>number of buried meteorite finds is an insignificant fraction
>compared to those found on the surface.=20
>
>Cheers,
>Rob

Prof. Zelimir Gabelica
Groupe S=E9curit=E9 et Ecologie Chimiques (GSEC) - ENSCMu
3, rue A. Werner
F-68093 MULHOUSE Cedex, FRANCE
Tel: +33 (0)3 89 33 68 94
FAX: +33 (0)3 89 33 68 15