[meteorite-list] Cold hunting question

From: Warren Zwanka <joeeval_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:54 2004

--EXCITEBOUNDARY_000__1767c796185647a8b8304e58ec392a65

Marcie and list,Having grown up in South Carolina and now Florida I am just familiar with the fact that if you don't have permission, then you better not be on someone's property. Even on state lands you had better have a reason for snooping around... especially with a metal detector. Either way, being where you're not invited arouses a lot of suspicion here which it doesn't seem to raise out west. Is the only difference that there is just too much land to supervise, or is it understood that if it isn't fenced then you are welcome on it? Is hunting meteorites on state/federal land legal in western parks? Because it sure isn't here.I am looking forward to when I can visit out west for some real "cold hunting" but have never been too clear on how those of you that do it regularly handle the property ownership issues.Warren
IMCA 3602
From: Marcia Swanson [mailto: MJSOfArc_at_webtv.net]To: joeeval@excite.com, meteorite-list@meteoritecental.comDate: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 16:11:22 -0500 (CDT)Subject: RE: [meteorite-list] Cold hunting questionHello Warren and List,Warren your question about property locale ownership, brought to mind aquestion of my own that I would appreciate an answer to, on or off-list,by yourself or other list members.I understand that when hunting on private property, you are supposed toget (written?) permission. I know that different Countries havedifferent rules on whether or not a meteorite is property of finder orconfiscated by government, or percentage of it taken for identificationand record and display at museum, ect.My questions are regarding meteorites found in USA. What EXACTLY areth e rules to guarentee that if you find one, say on public land ( StatePark, lakeshore, river-bed, dry-lake, abandoned gravil pit, ect.) youcan claim it without fear of confiscation, by State or Localauthorities? I know this was an issue wit
h the F.P. that supposedly"bounced" off the public sidewalk before hitting a home and wasconfiscated by local authorities ( Sorry to bring that unfortunate issueup), and there have been other instances. Is it the amount of money (it's worth) that determimes whether or not a counter-claim is laid on itby local, state, or is it the classification of the fall or find thatagain,makes it confiscatable? To be classed, especially if it weresomething really significant, you do have to say where it was foundright ?How does this work? When something is found on private property, afterhaving been given permission to look, what is the obligation of thecollector in regards to payment to land- owner , should a possiblemeteorite, or a meteorite be found, or land owners right tocounterclaim pwnership rights? I would truly appreciate guidelineanswers on some of these questions please, or reference readingmaterial? Thank-you and Best Regards, Marcie&gt; --- Begin Attached Message---

Just wondering who owns these areas you "cold hunters" are searching? Are areas like the Gold Basin and Bonneville Salt Flats publicly owned or do you make arrangements with individual land owners?

Warren

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.comThe most personalized portal on the Web!
&gt; --- End Attached Message---

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.comThe most personalized portal on the Web!
&gt; --- End Attached Message---

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com

--EXCITEBOUNDARY_000__1767c796185647a8b8304e58ec392a65

<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 7px; MARGIN-LEFT: 7px; BORDER-LEFT: orange 2px solid">
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" bgColor=white border=0>
<TBODY>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD width="100%"><FONT color=black size=2>
<P><BR>Marcie and list,<BR><BR>Having grown up in South Carolina and now Florida I am just familiar with the fact that if you don't have permission, then you better not be on someone's property. Even on state lands you had better have a reason for snooping around... especially with a metal detector. Either way, being where you're not invited arouses a lot of suspicion here which it doesn't seem to raise out west. Is the only difference that there is just too much land to supervise, or is it understood that if it isn't fenced then you are welcome on it? Is hunting meteorites on state/federal land legal in western parks? Because it sure isn't here.<BR><BR>I am looking forward to when I can visit out west for some real "cold hunting" but have never been too clear on how those of you that do it regularly handle the property ownership issues.<BR><BR>Warren</P>
<P><B r>IMCA 3602<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR></P>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 7px; MARGIN-LEFT: 7px; BORDER-LEFT: orange 2px solid"><B>From: </B>Marcia Swanson [mailto: MJSOfArc_at_webtv.net]<BR><B>To: </B>joeeval@excite.com, meteorite-list@meteoritecental.com<BR><B>Date: </B>Fri, 12 Sep 2003 16:11:22 -0500 (CDT)<BR><B>Subject: </B>RE: [meteorite-list] Cold hunting question<BR><BR>Hello Warren and List,<BR>Warren your question about property locale ownership, brought to mind a<BR>question of my own that I would appreciate an answer to, on or off-list,<BR>by yourself or other list members.<BR>I understand that when hunting on private property, you are supposed to<BR>get (written?) permission. I know that different Countries have<BR>different rules on whether or not a meteorite is property of finder or<BR>confiscated by government, or percentage of it taken for identification<BR>and record and display at museum, ect.<BR>My questions are regarding meteorites found in USA. What EXACTLY are<BR>th e rules to guarentee that if you find one, say on public land (
State<BR>Park, lakeshore, river-bed, dry-lake, abandoned gravil pit, ect.) you<BR>can claim it without fear of confiscation, by State or Local<BR>authorities? I know this was an issue with the F.P. that supposedly<BR>"bounced" off the public sidewalk before hitting a home and was<BR>confiscated by local authorities ( Sorry to bring that unfortunate issue<BR>up), and there have been other instances. Is it the amount of money (<BR>it's worth) that determimes whether or not a counter-claim is laid on it<BR>by local, state, or is it the classification of the fall or find that<BR>again,makes it confiscatable? To be classed, especially if it were<BR>something really significant, you do have to say where it was found<BR>right ?<BR>How does this work? When something is found on private property, after<BR>having been given permission to look, what is the obligation of the<BR>collector in regards to payment to land- owner , should a possible<BR>meteorite, or a meteorite be found, or land owners right to<BR>counterclai
m pwnership rights? I would truly appreciate guideline<BR>answers on some of these questions please, or reference reading<BR>material? Thank-you and Best Regards, Marcie<BR><BR>&gt; --- Begin Attached Message---
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" bgColor=white border=0>
<TBODY>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD width="100%"><FONT color=black size=2>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 7px; MARGIN-LEFT: 7px; BORDER-LEFT: orange 2px solid">
<P>Just wondering who owns these areas you "cold hunters" are searching? Are areas like the Gold Basin and Bonneville Salt Flats publicly owned or do you make arrangements with individual land owners?</P>
<P></P>
<P>Warren</P></BLOCKQUOTE><BR></FONT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<P>
<HR>
<FONT face=geneva size=2><B>Join Excite! - <A href="http://www.excite.com" target=_blank>http://www.excite.com</A></B><BR>The most personalized portal on the Web!</FONT>
<P>&gt; --- End Attached Message---</P></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></B></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>