[meteorite-list] Cold hunting question

From: joseph_town_at_att.net <joseph_town_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:54 2004

The federal court says that anything found on a parkway, the strip of land
between the sidewalk and the curb, the sidewalk itself, the street and any
public property designated as such by the village will be the legal possesion
of the one who has taken it. If the contents of a household are discarded on
the curb as trash, they become public domain. Anyone can help themselves.
That's the law but there is an ordinance specific to Park Forest that denies
this right. As far as I know, noone has ever been to court to defy this
ridiculous law but it is a village ordinance. Mike Farmer displayed a lot of
restraint in that situation. I have no idea what the police were thinking but
it was obviously disgraceful. Bad/dumb cops do things like that everywhere.

Bill Kieskowski