[meteorite-list] Serious question?

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:56 2004

Hi, Tom,

    Every year the Earth receives tens of thousands of tons of
extraterrestial dust. Most of it is ablated from meteorites entering the
atmosphere, but a small amount is cometary, and solar system dust, and even
a smidge of interstellar dust.
    The best place to find it is in deep ocean sediments, which is where
more than 2/3rds of the dust ends up, but you can find it in the polar ice
caps, too. There have been a lot of studies done on the extraterrestial dust
in ocean oozes.
    A certain amount stays suspended in the atmosphere for long periods and
can be scooped up by filtered "dust buckets" flown on planes or balloons.
NASA does a lot of this, and Ron Baalke has posted on this work a number of
times.
    You will notice that the places where you can find extraterrestial dust
are essentially quiet spots where it can settle and accumulate undisturbed.
Most of the land surface of the Earth is too hectic.

Sterling K. Webb