[meteorite-list] Meteorite Hunter

From: LJnewpers_at_aol.com <LJnewpers_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:56 2004

Months ago I wrote of a relatively new book on meteorites, METEORITES, A
Journey Space and Time, written by Alex Bevan and John De Laeter and received
many notes from you echoing my admiration of the book. (By the way, if you did
not see that post, you should look up this very informative and beautiful book.)
 At the time of that post I should also have mentioned another one which I
had even before METEORITES. Written by a professional astronomer and astute and
interesting writer, METEORITE HUNTER, The Search for Siberian Meteorite
Craters, by Roy A. Gallant is a great read. Beginning his adventures at an age when
many find raking the leaves too strenuous, Gallant launched a series of
explorations to the great Russian meteorite sites. His insight of the Russian
culture alone is worth the book, but you meteorite hunters out there will chill at
some of the adversities of travel in the great Russian north, and thrill along
with the team when they make a find. Our son-in-law has traveled extensively
on gold mining projects in Russia and states flatly that the difficulties
Gallant writes of are no exageration. Period. Not at all like pedaling around Park
Forest, or even braving the rattlesnakes of Gold Basin.

Larry Johnson
IMCA #6116