[meteorite-list] dronino (in)stability: a solution ?

From: Zelimir Gabelica <Z.Gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:56 2004

Hi John, List,

I did not try Steve Schoner's sodium hydroxide recipe to remove rust from
iron slices but, as a chemist, I have not any argument against its=
 efficiency.
I just proposed a product that is cheap, safe for us and harmfull for the
meteorite, easily available and of very simple and direct use. After 2
minutes rubbing, your slice is, in principle, ready.
 It is difficult to evaluate the efficiencies and advantages(drawbacks) of
the 2 processes. I believe the more procedures we have, the better for our
iron preservation.
By the way, does the NaOH process attack Widmannst=E4tten patterns ?

Best wishes,

Zelimir

At 08:30 17/09/03 -0700, you wrote:
>Here it is again.
>
>Rust Sufferers,
>
>You might consider using Steve Schoner's tried and true sodium hydroxide=20
>process. I had several slices of old Campo that would rust no matter how=
=20
>may times I polished them or how dry I kept them. Then, two years ago, I=
=20
>used the sodium hydroxide process and the slices have been rust free ever=
=20
>since. One of the slices sits in a metal pan out in my garage where it is=
=20
>subject to the heat and humidity and there is absolutely no rust on it.
Prof. Zelimir Gabelica
Groupe S=E9curit=E9 et Ecologie Chimiques (GSEC) - ENSCMu
3, rue A. Werner
F-68093 MULHOUSE Cedex, FRANCE
Tel: +33 (0)3 89 33 68 94
FAX: +33 (0)3 89 33 68 15