[meteorite-list] Rusty Iron Meteorwrong?

From: M come Meteorite Meteorites <mcomemeteorite2000_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:57 2004

Hello

The unique is cut a piece and etched with nitol this
and see if exit the patterns.
Regards

Matteo
--- Popocatept_at_aol.com wrote:
> Fellow listees:
>
> While looking in the woods for Park Forest
> Meteorites I found a rusty
> somewhat angular chunk of Iron. I know the odds of
> it being meteorite are about a
> million to one, but I took it home since it was the
> only thing I found, and
> because its shape was not like any obvious tool.
>
> I purchased one of those $20 nickel tests on ebay to
> play around with. I
> tested a coathanger-negative, some filings from a
> Gibeon-positive and the rusty
> iron, which also tested positive.
>
> What else can I do to test this thing? I looked at
> several of the meteor
> wrong sites, but they were in no help in this case,
> since we are not talking
> about hematite, basalt or other common meteorwrongs.
> If this is a meteorite it
> would be an iron from a long ago fall, so no fusion
> crust. Since it is iron,
> the magnetic test would be pointless.
>
> Can I saw the end off with a hacksaw, grind and
> polish it smooth, etch it
> with acid for
> the widmanstatten pattern? Is this practical for
> someone with no special
> tools or experience?
>
> Hoping to learn something. I don't really believe
> it is a meteorite, but the
> positive nickel test leaves me little choice but to
> dig a little deeper.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike Fowler
> Chicago
>
> PS I'm feeling a little foolish posting this, but
> surely all you cold
> hunters out there have encountered something like
> this at least once.

=====
M come Meteorite - Matteo Chinellato
Email: mcomemeteorite2000_at_yahoo.it
Sale Site: http://www.mcomemeteorite.com Collection Site: http://www.mcomemeteorite.info
MSN Messanger: spacerocks_at_hotmail.com