[meteorite-list] Denver 2003 - Part 1

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:57 2004

------=_NextPart_001_003F_01C37D53.97E264E0

Hello Everyone,
Sorry no photos this year. Was having camera problems.

Denver 2003 Report
By Mark Bostick
I usually choose to fly and then have one of my brothers meet me in Denve=
r with a car to get around and get things home with. This year I chose ju=
st to drive in. Armed with the help of my brother, Johnny Bostick. I left=
 Thursday evening choosing to stop along the way for the night close to t=
he Colorado border. We made our way to a small motel in Colby, Kansas. De=
nver to Wichita is only a little over 500 miles, but our hotel reservatio=
ns were not to Friday anyway. The bathroom had a sign telling guest not t=
o clean kills in the bathtub. There was a location behind building 9 were=
 kills could be cleaned. West Kansas is completely flat and a popular are=
a for bird and deer hunters, I don=E2=80=99t imagine it took the motel lo=
ng in business before drafting the sign. Colby was also the location of a=
 meteorite find once, a small stone of only 2.4 kg. But it was enough to =
make me toss around the ideal of hunting in the morning. =20
Instead we chose to get an early start Friday morning on Denver and getti=
ng to our hotel, the Radisson Greystone Castle. The Castle is located abo=
ut 10 miles from the Holiday Inn - Best Western hotels were all the meteo=
rite events are centered. It is also one of the better hotels in the area=
. But I think next year I will follow the lead of my fellow meteorite sel=
lers and stay at the Holiday Inn. It will make getting back to the hotel =
after a night of possible drinking easier. Just use the elevator.
Usually when I go to the mineral shows I don't make too many major purcha=
ses the first day. So other then a couple dozen mineral flats, I didn't b=
uy much and non-meteorites don't really count. That made most of Friday a=
 hello, hi, how are you doing, nice seeing you again day. My brother and =
me walked around the Holiday Inn and the Best Western rooms and tents loo=
king for things to catch my eye while pricing minerals and fossils.
Mostly, I just hung around Blaine Reed's room. Everyone can usually be se=
en at one time or another coming in or going out of Blaine's. He is the c=
enter point of the meteorite world at shows and to make it easy on us, al=
ways has the same room every year. Besides keeping us entertained and wit=
h a beer in hand if wanted, Blaine also does a good job at keeping his ta=
bles full of stuff to amuse us and tempt our pocketbooks. I walked away w=
ith a few meteorites and meteorite books including, Nininger first book, =
Our Stone Pelted Planet, and a platter size slice of Northbranch.
This room was also temporary home of the Garza stone with all its glory. =
You really have to see the stone appreciate it. To me, it kind of looked =
like a giant Bensour, only kicked around a couple hundred times. Surround=
ing the stone were pieces of the house torn apart by the meteorite impact=
. The Garza stone was presented by Adam and Greg Hupe who also had a coll=
ection of riker mounted meteorites and Garza Impact Kits for sale. =20
Adam and Greg gave out "Lunar Rock Team" badges to a number of people inc=
luding myself. Complete with a Marvin the Martian photo and job titles. M=
ine noted me as a "Meteoritics Explorer", that I was a "VIP" and that the=
 pass was for "All Access". Complete with a cord to put around my neck. B=
efore the show was over, most of my fellow sellers were temporary members=
 of the Lunar Rock Team and some of us would find out this was a good thi=
ng.
AL Mitterling (of Mitterling Meteorites) is usually at the Denver show, a=
nd this year was no exception. Al and me had gone in together on a large =
end cut of SAH97095, a few months before the show. This is a nice H5 with=
 shock veins and one of the first classified African desert meteorites. I=
 picked up my slices at the show and they are just stunning. Several slic=
es show on both sides a metal vein, up to 2 inches long and wide enough t=
o be seen on of 5 slices. Thanks again Al for the nice work. I will have =
some photos of these metal veined slices soon. Until then, I have several=
 very nice slices, some with lots of shock veins on my Website right now.=
 (Sorry, had to squeeze a little Spam in here).
Late Friday was the Comets/Michael Blood auction. Michael was the auction=
eer and brought with him, his usual entertaining comments and auctioneer =
style. In the auction were a few things that caught my eye, including a h=
andcrafted necklace. Sterling silver with a large wrapped moldavite as a =
pendent, and moon stone beads. This necklace was one of several that were=
 entered by a cute young blond in her twenties. While only two of the nec=
klaces sold in the auction, she did sell all but one while people were wa=
iting to check out. These necklace sells had her obviously excited and ma=
de me smile a little. For my purchase I also got a hug. Lets hope she ret=
urns to our fold, our hobby could use more of a female presence...:-) =20
Like the previous years the Comets provided a keg of local beer, along wi=
th wine, chips, and other snacks. Anne Black was kind enough to hang arou=
nd the auction room (Dave Bunks Mineral Showroom...or something close to =
that), so that people could enter items earlier then in previous years an=
d have the items on display before the auction.
The Hupes entered the most items and many went for well under retail. A m=
ultiple hundred-dollar bottle of wine was sold with the proceeds going to=
 the Comets. A kind gesture that was much appreciated. And even more so w=
hen the winner opened the bottle and shared with all. The final bids on m=
y items were low, but it did manage to pay for the items I bided on, help=
ed fund the Comets and gave me an extra $50.00 so I won't complain. =20

Please visit, www.MeteoriteArticles.com, a free on-line archive of meteor=
 and meteorite articles.

------=_NextPart_001_003F_01C37D53.97E264E0

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV> <P>Hello Ever=
yone,</P> <P>Sorry no photos this year.&nbsp; Was having camera problems.=
</P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>Denver 2003 Report</P> <P>By Mark Bostick</P> <P>I =
[...]
ke me toss around the ideal of hunting in the morning. </P> <P>Instead we=
 chose to get an early start Friday morning on Denver and getting to our =
hotel, the Radisson Greystone Castle. The Castle is located about 10 mile=
s from the Holiday Inn - Best Western hotels were all the meteorite event=
s are centered. It is also one of the better hotels in the area. But I th=
ink next year I will follow the lead of my fellow meteorite sellers and s=
tay at the Holiday Inn. It will make getting back to the hotel after a ni=
ght of possible drinking easier. Just use the elevator.</P> <P>Usually wh=
en I go to the mineral shows I don't make too many major purchases the fi=
rst day. So other then a couple dozen mineral flats, I didn't buy much an=
d non-meteorites don't really count. That made most of Friday a hello, hi=
, how are you doing, nice seeing you again day. My brother and me walked =
around the Holiday Inn and the Best Western rooms and tents looking for t=
hings to catch my eye while pricing minerals and fossils.</P> <P>Mostly, =
I just hung around Blaine Reed's room. Everyone can usually be seen at on=
e time or another coming in or going out of Blaine's. He is the center po=
int of the meteorite world at shows and to make it easy on us, always has=
 the same room every year. Besides keeping us entertained and with a beer=
 in hand if wanted, Blaine also does a good job at keeping his tables ful=
l of stuff to amuse us and tempt our pocketbooks. I walked away with a fe=
w meteorites and meteorite books including, Nininger first book, Our Ston=
e Pelted Planet, and a platter size slice of Northbranch.</P> <P>This roo=
m was also temporary home of the Garza stone with all its glory. You real=
ly have to see the stone appreciate it. To me, it kind of looked like a g=
iant Bensour, only kicked around a couple hundred times. Surrounding the =
stone were pieces of the house torn apart by the meteorite impact. The Ga=
rza stone was presented by Adam and Greg Hupe who also had a collection o=
f riker mounted meteorites and Garza Impact Kits for sale. </P> <P>Adam a=
nd Greg gave out "Lunar Rock Team" badges to a number of people including=
 myself. Complete with a Marvin the Martian photo and job titles. Mine no=
ted me as a "Meteoritics Explorer", that I was a "VIP" and that the pass =
was for "All Access". Complete with a cord to put around my neck. Before =
the show was over, most of my fellow sellers were temporary members of th=
e Lunar Rock Team and some of us would find out this was a good thing.</P=
> <P>AL Mitterling (of Mitterling Meteorites) is usually at the Denver sh=
ow, and this year was no exception. Al and me had gone in together on a l=
arge end cut of SAH97095, a few months before the show. This is a nice H5=
 with shock veins and one of the first classified African desert meteorit=
es. I picked up my slices at the show and they are just stunning. Several=
 slices show on both sides a metal vein, up to 2 inches long and wide eno=
ugh to be seen on of 5 slices. Thanks again Al for the nice work. I will =
have some photos of these metal veined slices soon. Until then, I have se=
veral very nice slices, some with lots of shock veins on my Website right=
 now. (Sorry, had to squeeze a little Spam in here).</P> <P>Late Friday w=
as the Comets/Michael Blood auction. Michael was the auctioneer and broug=
ht with him, his usual entertaining comments and auctioneer style. In the=
 auction were a few things that caught my eye, including a handcrafted ne=
cklace. Sterling silver with a large wrapped moldavite as a pendent, and =
moon stone beads. This necklace was one of several that were entered by a=
 cute young blond in her twenties. While only two of the necklaces sold i=
n the auction, she did sell all but one while people were waiting to chec=
k out. These necklace sells had her obviously excited and made me smile a=
 little. For my purchase I also got a hug. Lets hope she returns to our f=
old, our hobby could use more of a female presence...:-) </P> <P>Like the=
 previous years the Comets provided a keg of local beer, along with wine,=
 chips, and other snacks. Anne Black was kind enough to hang around the a=
uction room (Dave Bunks Mineral Showroom...or something close to that), s=
o that people could enter items earlier then in previous years and have t=
he items on display before the auction.</P> <P>The Hupes entered the most=
 items and many went for well under retail. A multiple hundred-dollar bot=
tle of wine was sold with the proceeds going to the Comets. A kind gestur=
e that was much appreciated. And even more so when the winner opened the =
bottle and shared with all. The final bids on my items were low, but it d=
id manage to pay for the items I bided on, helped fund the Comets and gav=
e me an extra $50.00 so I won't complain. </P> <P><BR><BR>Please visit, w=
ww.MeteoriteArticles.com, a free on-line archive of meteor and meteorite =
articles.</P></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_003F_01C37D53.97E264E0--