[meteorite-list] Hurricane Isabel

From: harlan trammell <skyrox_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:59 2004

<P>hurricnae isabel was weak,&nbsp; over-rated media circus that only got publicity because it was around major urban, areas like dc. i survived andrew in homestead, fl and camile in pass christain , ms. and the isabel thing is a complete joke. sustained winds were barely hurricane force while even georges in keywest in '98 had sustained winds&nbsp;OVER hurricane force for 19 straight hours in the entire lower keys. jim cantorie was NOT standing in the eyewall of andrew OR georges with that stupid adevertising banner windbreaker and a microphone. all isabel was flood places that should nit havebeen buit there in the first place , which, will in turn cost taxpayers $millions as fema reflects the cost of its flood insurance to the consumer.<BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: j.divelbiss_at_att.net
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: [meteorite-list] Hurricane Isabel
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 13:49:02 +0000
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Hello All,
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;The overall consensus here on the US east coast is that we were lucky not to
<DIV></DIV>&gt;get hit worse by this monster storm...Isabel. For those in it's path the
<DIV></DIV>&gt;damage and difficulties are bad enough. Billions of dollars in damage and
<DIV></DIV>&gt;millions have been without power...and many still are. Flooding from the
<DIV></DIV>&gt;storm surge/push onto land was extensive. Cities like Baltimore along the
<DIV></DIV>&gt;coast had areas that were/are under several feet of water. Geoff Cintron
<DIV></DIV>&gt;alluded to how bad the North Carolina/Virginia coastal areas got whacked.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;John Sinclair is probably out there cleaning up...if, he has even gotten back
<DIV></DIV>&gt;to his home yet.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Areas in South Jersey, Southeast Pennsylvania, Delaware and Maryland were
<DIV></DIV>&gt;ravaged with 50 to 80 miles an hour winds knocking down trees (and power
<DIV></DIV>&gt;lines) by the thousands.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;The speed of this fasting moving storm saved us all from tremendous rains and
<DIV></DIV>&gt;extensive periods of winds. Even my area here in PA..far from the storm's
<DIV></DIV>&gt;center got lots of wind Thursday night...knocking power out for 1/2 day and
<DIV></DIV>&gt;taking down several trees and large branches in the neighborhood.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Yes, we were lucky it was not worse...but believe me, it was bad enough. I
<DIV></DIV>&gt;cannot imagine what a direct hit of a category 4 or 5 would do to the Mid-
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Atlantic or Northeast areas with all the people and development we have.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Even worse for us and others would be the tsunami from a large asteroidal hit
<DIV></DIV>&gt;in the (Atlantic) ocean.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Count your blessings every day,
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;John
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Meteorite-list mailing list
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com
<DIV></DIV>&gt;http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/meteorite-list