[meteorite-list] A box to put my meteorites in...Part two

From: mark ford <markf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:59 2004

Rob,

That's a great story, and it looks superb!

I went through a similar experience a few months ago, I had simply out
grown my old cabinet, after 'extensive negotiation' with the boss, I got
clearance for a new one. I went into every furniture shop, in the area,
nothing! Either too big too small to wide. Anyway to cut a long story
short...

 I eventually decided that since I live in a very old house something
antique looking would be the way to go, so I eventually found an
Edwardian (1900's) solid mahogany cabinet that someone had bizarrely
painted grey (!), I stripped it down, removed the shelves and had glass
ones cut I lined it with pale yellow silk (yellow is definitely the best
colour to show up detail), I fitted miniature Halogen lamps into the
top, sanded it and gave it a good coat of quality varnish. It now looks
like an antique again but also is very functional as well, being well
lit and the glass shelves allow maximum light to penetrate. There is
certainly something about mahogany and meteorites, it just has that feel
of 'old museums'.

My advice to anyone who needs a new cabinet, get the saw and sander out
and be prepared to modify a case, because that's the best way to get
what you=20
Want!!

Cheers all,

Mark Ford