[meteorite-list] Franconia field trip Part I

From: WAHLPERRY_at_aol.com <WAHLPERRY_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:10 2004

-------------------------------1080920444

Hi List,

With all of the recent posts about Franconia I thought I would give you an
update.

I have gone out to the area 5 times and really enjoyed meeting all of the
meteorite hunters and the recognized finder of the original Franconia strewnfield
John Wolfe. John was one of the nicest people that I have ever met. He gave
me the layout of his strewnfield and that helped out alot. I found my first
Franconia meteorite within one day. John has an amazing ability to spot
meteorites. I would search an area and then John would go thru and find several
meteorites that I had walked right past with my footprints over them. I was lucky
enough to find 10 meteorites during the 5 trips I was out there. Most of these
meteorites are around 400-800 grams.

There has been some concern about the locals getting irritated by all of the
meteorite hunters. They are not used to having dozens of people walk around
their places and surrounding BLM property. I was approached by a local resident
while traveling down a residential road and was questioned what was going on.
He wondered if I was looking for meteorites. After a few minutes of talking to
him I could understand why he was upset. He said that there had been a few
meteorite hunters going on private property without permission. I suggested to
him to post signs to inform hunters to stay off private land. I assume most of
us would abide by this anyways but there were a few people who did not respect
the private land. These people moved out there to have privacy and get away
from the crowds. Just imagine how you would feel in the same situation. I know
that most of us would be offended by people hunting on our land day after day
for meteorites. I established a friendly relationship with one local couple. I
explained to them that I would post to the list a letter requesting that we
are especially conscientious of the private property. We should all work
together to maintain our good image as meteorite hunters and collectors.

On my last 2 trips which was a total of 5 eight to ten hour days in the field
I recovered one 615 gram meteorite. The temperatures were very hot and it
made hunting more difficult. The daytime temps were 90's. I also want to advise
hunters to keep their eyes open because the snakes are out. I saw 2
rattlesnakes and 1 bullsnake on the last trip. This a known area for the Mohave green
rattler. They are active in the morning sunning themselves and hunting in the
evenings. Their daytime patterns are to be shaded under the shrubs/brush. This
made my hunting a little nerve racking!! If you plan to go hunt Franconia bring
lots of water. There are no established campsights but you can camp on BLM
land for 14 days max.

Out of the 6 meteorite hunters that I met in the field over the last trip
there were only a couple of meteorites found. The largest I heard of was a
fragmented 240 gram piece.

I will send a 2nd post with a link to pictures later today.

Sonny

-------------------------------1080920444

<HTML><HEAD>
rset=3DUS-ASCII">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1106" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV>Hi List,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>With all of the recent posts about Franconia I thought I would give you=
 an update. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I have gone out to the area 5 times and really enjoyed meeting all of t=
he meteorite hunters and the recognized finder of the original Franconia str=
ewnfield John Wolfe. John was one of the nicest people that I have ever met.=
 He gave me the layout of his strewnfield and that helped out alot. I found=20=
my first&nbsp; Franconia meteorite within one day. John has an amazing abili=
ty to spot meteorites. I would search an area and then John would go thru an=
d find several meteorites that I had walked right past with my footprints ov=
er them. I was lucky enough to find 10 meteorites during the 5 trips I was o=
ut there. Most of these meteorites are around 400-800 grams. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>There has been some concern about the locals getting irritated by all o=
[...]
 hunters and collectors.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>On my last&nbsp;2 trips which was a total of 5 eight to ten hour days i=
n the field I recovered one 615 gram meteorite. The temperatures were very h=
ot and it&nbsp;made hunting more difficult. The daytime temps were 90's.&nbs=
p; I also&nbsp;want to advise hunters to keep their eyes open because the sn=
akes are out. I saw 2 rattlesnakes and 1 bullsnake on the last trip.&nbsp;Th=
is a known area for the Mohave green rattler.&nbsp;They are active in the mo=
rning sunning themselves and hunting in the&nbsp;evenings. Their daytime pat=
terns are to be shaded under the shrubs/brush. This made my hunting a little=
&nbsp;nerve racking!!&nbsp;If you plan to go hunt Franconia bring lots of wa=
ter. There are no established campsights but you can camp on BLM land&nbsp;f=
or 14 days max.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Out of the 6 meteorite hunters that I met in the field over the last tr=
ip there were only a couple of meteorites found. The largest I heard of was=20=
a fragmented 240 gram piece.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I will send a 2nd post with a link to pictures later today.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Sonny</DIV></BODY></HTML>