[meteorite-list] I need help!! L, H what?

From: Jeff Grossman <jgrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:10 2004

Fresh H chondrites have 9-13 volume% metal plus sulfide, L chondrites have
6-7 vol% metal plus sulfide. But notice that a perfectly respectable H
chondrite with 9% only has slightly more metal+sulfide than a perfectly
respectable L with 7%. It's not always easy to distinguish on this
basis. The quality of the surface can also affect what you see.

With that said, here is the reason I am writing: this meteorite has not
been approved by the Nomenclature Committee, so it may not have been
formally classified yet. A lot of provisional classifications get changed
when somebody does an analysis.

jeff