[meteorite-list] I Need Help - L, H what?

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:10 2004

Tom asked:

> Hello List, I am confused! Please help me out on this! An L is low and
> an H is high, right? If a meteorite is chocked full of visible metal can
> it be an L, or is it an H ?

Jeff kindly responded:

> Fresh H chondrites have 9-13 volume% metal plus sulfide, L chondrites have
> 6-7 vol% metal plus sulfide. But notice that a perfectly respectable H
> chondrite with 9% only has slightly more metal + sulfide than a perfectly
> respectable L with 7%. It's not always easy to distinguish on this
> basis. The quality of the surface can also affect what you see.

Tom, the presence of a lot of visible metal can be a deceiving criterion.
Lots of L or LL chondrites have an appreciable amount of visible nickel-
iron specks or flakes, others are very poor in visible metal as some of
this total iron may be "locked" in the silicates (olivine, pyroxene, etc.)

Best wishes,

Bernd