[meteorite-list] Sonic Booms Associated With Recovered Falls?

From: E. L. Jones <jonee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:12 2004

Eye/Ear witness observation:
Maryville, TN, USA 1983, Bolide 1-2 kg single well rounded stone(H5?)
recovered
Yes to the report of the bolide,
Yes to the sonic boom.
Possible as to echo from distant ridges12-18 miles away.

Angle of decent was apparently vertical from the observer's perspective
(3-5 miles southwest of ground zero), Duration of the fireball once
detected was under 2 seconds.
Sunburn: almost (wink)

The fall occured near 4am local and the combined vectors produced a VERY
fast moving, fiery, smoky, and noisy entry. Smoke columnextended from
3-4 miles above the ground(800ft asl) to as far as the "neked" eye could
see. (Now I know how Jack felt contemplating the bean stalk).

Elton