[meteorite-list] Perry to Nininger Letter, Oct. 30, 1950

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:12 2004

------=_NextPart_001_0040_01C41D0B.6326F600

(Stuart Perry to Harvey Nininger letter, Perry's File copy)
October 30, 1950
Dear Nininger:
First I want to tell you how much I enjoyed reading your Catalogue, and w=
hat an exceptionally fine piece of work I think it is. Unlike most of suc=
h lists, there is much more to it than the mere record of specimens. The =
introduction is of unusual interest, and very well written; the notes of =
various specimens are a valuable addition; and the plates are quite super=
b. Altogether you have made an important contribution to the literature o=
f meteorites. and while I congratulate you on that, I congratulate you st=
ill more warmly on what you have done for science in your long career of =
collecting -- your genuinely scientific spirit, your unflagging energy, a=
nd your outstanding success in spite of many obstacles and difficulties.
By the way, I noticed in your introduction a mention of your still having=
 material for sale. I imagine you have some that I should like to buy, bu=
t perhaps you have no list or what is now available for sale, I mean no l=
ist that you send out. Possibly if you would check what you have for sale=
 with my own printed catalogue, you might find some things that would be =
likely to interest me.
I had a letter from Ward's the other day inclosing a copy of a memorandum=
 from you regarding Dimmitt, which seems to establish definitely that it =
is not identical with Tulia. I can add to the evidence by the fact that t=
he stones that I obtained were so far from Tulia that it would be highly =
improbable that they were of the same fall. I got about 20 stones, altoge=
ther about 13 kg, the nearest of them were found about 30 miles west of T=
ulia, some others 45 miles, and I heard of one that was found further.
The subject of sales reminds me of possible exchanges. If I have somethin=
g that you can't obtain, and you have something I want, we might exchange=
 even if my specimen were the only one; for I think that it may be more d=
esirable to you to augment your already very large collection with a new =
meteorite (one you not have) than it is to me to have some particular met=
eorite in my collection in stead of some other. The only trouble is that =
I have given so many of mine away that I haven't very much left that migh=
t interest you. Suppose you run over my printed list and see if there is =
anything that you covet with is not marked as given away.

With warm regards to you and Mrs. Nininger,
Sincerely,
(Stuart Perry - name is missing as this is the file copy. The original se=
nt to Nininger would have been signed by Perry)

------=_NextPart_001_0040_01C41D0B.6326F600

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV><FONT size=3D2=
> <P>(Stuart Perry to Harvey Nininger letter, Perry's File copy)</P> <P>O=
ctober 30, 1950</P> <P>Dear Nininger:</P> <P>First I want to tell you how=
 much I enjoyed reading your Catalogue, and what an exceptionally fine pi=
ece of work I think it is. Unlike most of such lists, there is much more =
to it than the mere record of specimens. The introduction is of unusual i=
nterest, and very well written; the notes of various specimens are a valu=
able addition; and the plates are quite superb. Altogether you have made =
an important contribution to the literature of meteorites. and while I co=
ngratulate you on that, I congratulate you still more warmly on what you =
have done for science in your long career of collecting -- your genuinely=
 scientific spirit, your unflagging energy, and your outstanding success =
in spite of many obstacles and difficulties.</P> <P>By the way, I noticed=
 in your introduction a mention of your still having material for sale. I=
 imagine you have some that I should like to buy, but perhaps you have no=
 list or what is now available for sale, I mean no list that you send out=
 Possibly if you would check what you have for sale with my own printed =
catalogue, you might find some things that would be likely to interest me=
</P> <P>I had a letter from Ward's the other day inclosing a copy of a m=
emorandum from you regarding Dimmitt, which seems to establish definitely=
 that it is not identical with Tulia. I can add to the evidence by the fa=
ct that the stones that I obtained were so far from Tulia that it would b=
e highly improbable that they were of the same fall. I got about 20 stone=
s, altogether about 13 kg, the nearest of them were found about 30 miles =
west of Tulia, some others 45 miles, and I heard of one that was found fu=
rther.</P> <P>The subject of sales reminds me of possible exchanges. If I=
 have something that you can't obtain, and you have something I want, we =
might exchange even if my specimen were the only one; for I think that it=
 may be more desirable to you to augment your already very large collecti=
on with a new meteorite (one you not have) than it is to me to have some =
particular meteorite in my collection in stead of some other. The only tr=
ouble is that I have given so many of mine away that I haven't very much =
left that might interest you. Suppose you run over my printed list and se=
e if there is anything that you covet with is not marked as given away.</=
P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>With warm regards to you and Mrs. Nininger,</P> <P>Si=
ncerely,</P> <P>(Stuart Perry - name is missing as this is the file copy.=
 The original sent to Nininger would have been signed by Perry)</P></FONT=