[meteorite-list] Nininger and Perry Letter's - Intermission 1

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:13 2004

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C41F28.4E3F7130

Hello list,
I have decided to put little intermissions in between the letters which w=
ill allow me to comment or answer e-mails, which not making me reply to e=
very e-mail, and keeping it easier to follow for you archive lurkers. =20
Since this is intermission we should relax our eyes a little. If you have=
 been in front of the computer for over an hour, turn your head to the si=
de and focuse on something across the room for 30 seconds. Trust me this =
is good for you. The snack bar is now open.

It is hard not to respect Nininger. He was by far from a perfect man and =
some of the things he did or might have done, could be considered unethic=
al or at the least not right. It is hard to credit Nininger with having a=
ll these correct ideals. Do not get me wrong, whatever you are thinking m=
eteorite wise, Nininger likely wrote three articles on it and found the t=
ype specimen. But it would be fair to say that many of his ideals were wr=
ong. But Nininger had, if I dare use such a relic word, spirit. He was al=
so not afraid to ask questions. He was not afraid of a little field work.=
 He was not afraid to work against the grind. =20
What Nininger did best was promote meteorite interest. If you have read "=
Find a Falling Star", you know the story of his struggle and his desire t=
o build an institution for meteorite research. The Harvey Nininger - Stua=
rt Perry letters verify and back up much of Nininger autobiography and hi=
s fight. I do not want to spoil the letters so i will refrain from lettin=
g you know history out of order and stop here. Understand that Nininger h=
ad a dozen Stuart Perry's. And it is only because of these Perry's that N=
ininger was able to do the things he did. I have always found the humanis=
tic side of meteorites as interesting as the scientific side. By sharing =
the Nininger - Perry letters I hope you gain a little more understanding =
into Nininger and perhaps pick up a little more interest yourself. =20

Harvey, if your up there......could you make the next fall be in Wichita,=
 Kansas?
Mark Bostick
www.meteoritearticles.com

Some of Stuart Perry publications include:
The metallography of meteoric iron, by Stuart H. Perry. Washington, U.S. =
Govt. print. off., 1944. 206 p.23 cm. =20
Reexamination of the Soper, Oklahoma meteorite. E.P. Henderson and Stuart=
 H. Perry, published in American Mineralogist, 1948, Volume 33, Nos. 11 a=
nd 12, November-December. =20
A restudy of the Social Circle, Georgia, meteorite. E.P. Henderson and St=
uart H. Perry, published in American Mineralogist, 1951, Volume 36, Nos.7=
 and 8, July-August. =20
The Mayodan meteorite, Rockingham, North Carolina. E.P. Henderson and Stu=
art H. Perry, published in American Mineralogist, 1953, Volume 38, Nos. 1=
1 and 12, November-December.
Discovered the mineral Perryite

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C41F28.4E3F7130

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV><FONT size=3D2=
> <P>Hello list,</P> <P>I have decided to put little intermissions in bet=
ween the letters which will allow me to comment or answer e-mails, which =
not making me reply to every e-mail, and keeping it easier to follow for =
you archive lurkers. </P> <P>Since this is intermission we should relax o=
ur eyes a little. If you have been in front of the computer for over an h=
our, turn your head to the side and focuse on something across the room f=
or 30 seconds. Trust me this is good for you. The snack bar is now open.<=
/P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>It is hard not to respect Nininger. He was by far fr=
om a perfect man and some of the things he did or might have done, could =
be considered unethical or at the least not right. It is hard to credit N=
ininger with having all these correct ideals. Do not get me wrong, whatev=
er you are thinking meteorite wise, Nininger likely wrote three articles =
on it and found the type specimen. But it would be fair to say that many =
of his ideals were wrong. But Nininger had, if I dare use such a relic wo=
rd, spirit. He was also not afraid to ask questions. He was not afraid of=
 a little field work. He was not afraid to work against the grind. </P> <=
P>What Nininger did best was promote meteorite interest. If you have read=
 "Find a Falling Star", you know the story of his struggle and his desire=
 to build an institution for meteorite research. The Harvey Nininger - St=
uart Perry letters verify and back up much of Nininger autobiography and =
his fight. I do not want to spoil the letters so i will refrain from lett=
ing you know history out of order and stop here. Understand that Nininger=
 had a dozen Stuart Perry's. And it is only because of these Perry's that=
 Nininger was able to do the things he did. I have always found the human=
istic side of meteorites as interesting as the scientific side. By sharin=
g the Nininger - Perry letters I hope you gain a little more understandin=
g into Nininger and perhaps pick up a little more interest yourself. </P>=
 <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>Harvey, if your up there......could you make the next f=
all be in Wichita, Kansas?</P> <P>Mark Bostick</P> <P>www.meteoritearticl=
es.com</P> <P>&nbsp;</P></FONT><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D2> <=
P>Some of Stuart Perry publications include:</P> <P>The metallography of =
meteoric iron, by Stuart H. Perry. Washington, U.S. Govt. print. off., 19=
44. 206 p.23 cm. </P> <P>Reexamination of the Soper, Oklahoma meteorite. =
E.P. Henderson and Stuart H. Perry, published in American Mineralogist, 1=
948, Volume 33, Nos. 11 and 12, November-December. </P> <P>A restudy of t=
he Social Circle, Georgia, meteorite. E.P. Henderson and Stuart H. Perry,=
 published in American Mineralogist, 1951, Volume 36, Nos.7 and 8, July-A=
ugust. </P> <P>The Mayodan meteorite, Rockingham, North Carolina. E.P. He=
nderson and Stuart H. Perry, published in American Mineralogist, 1953, Vo=
lume 38, Nos. 11 and 12, November-December.</P></FONT><FONT face=3D"Times=
 New Roman" size=3D2> <P>Discovered the mineral Perryite</P></FONT></DIV>=
</BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C41F28.4E3F7130--