[meteorite-list] Nininger to Perry Letter, July 18, 1951

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:13 2004

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C41FBD.14CBD840

(American Meteorite Museum Letterhead)
AMERICAN METEORITE MUSUEM
OPPOSITE METEOR CRATER ON HIGHWAY 66
POST OFFICE BOX 1171
WINSLOW ARIZONA

July 18, 1951
Dear Perry:
Your letter of June 1, with photos came just as we were leaving for a few=
 weeks afield. Hence the delay.
This iron from Peru bids fair to take an important place in the list of k=
nown meteorites, doesn't it?
I am terribly tempted to go through with the projected trip to South Amer=
ica and endeavor to talk the authorities out of the a larger piece of it.=
 Other prospects would, of course, be looked into.
As for dividing the present specimen I cannot feet justified in turning d=
own your request after you have put so much time and effort into its stud=
y. Meanwhile I am sending herewith some sawings which were sent by the ma=
n who worked so long to get the iron. I cannot vouch for the quality but =
when I cut your slice off I'll see that we get a good sample.
Sincerely,
(signed)
H.H. Nininger
HHN: AN
(Mark Note: The follow was added to the letter after it was typed and is =
handwritten by Nininger)
P.S. I note that I am to receive copies of all photographs, which I shall=
 have good use for. I fully intent that you and Herbinar shall be respons=
ible for the metallographic description in my paper.

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C41FBD.14CBD840

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV><FONT size=3D2=
> <P>(American Meteorite Museum Letterhead)</P> <P>AMERICAN METEORITE MUS=
UEM</P> <P>OPPOSITE METEOR CRATER ON HIGHWAY 66</P> <P>POST OFFICE BOX 11=
71</P> <P>WINSLOW ARIZONA</P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>July 18, 1951</P> <P>Dear =
Perry:</P> <P>Your letter of June 1, with photos came just as we were lea=
ving for a few weeks afield. Hence the delay.</P> <P>This iron from Peru =
bids fair to take an important place in the list of known meteorites, doe=
sn't it?</P> <P>I am terribly tempted to go through with the projected tr=
ip to South America and endeavor to talk the authorities out of the a lar=
ger piece of it. Other prospects would, of course, be looked into.</P> <P=
>As for dividing the present specimen I cannot feet justified in turning =
down your request after you have put so much time and effort into its stu=
dy. Meanwhile I am sending herewith some sawings which were sent by the m=
an who worked so long to get the iron. I cannot vouch for the quality but=
 when I cut your slice off I'll see that we get a good sample.</P> <P>Sin=
cerely,</P> <P>(signed)</P> <P>H.H. Nininger</P> <P>HHN: AN</P> <P>(Mark =
Note: The follow was added to the letter after it was typed and is handwr=
itten by Nininger)</P> <P>P.S. I note that I am to receive copies of all =
photographs, which I shall have good use for. I fully intent that you and=
 Herbinar shall be responsible for the metallographic description in my p=
aper.</P></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C41FBD.14CBD840--