[meteorite-list] Classification (general)

From: Devin Schrader <makinsomenoise_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:14 2004

Hi Mike,
     I do a bit, only as much as breaks in school work will allow me (which
isn't too much lately). One could easily write a book (or books) on each
group. I refere you to a great book that covers most meteorite types in rich
detail:

 Reviews in Minerology, Volume 36: Planetary Materials, J.J. Papike
(editor), 1998. ISSN 0275-0279
            Publisher: Minerological Society of America

I don't want to ramble, so i'll make the answer short. Why a thin section of
the meteorite? So that the sample is transparent (but not too thin) so that
one can look at it under a optical microscope with transmitted light and
find it's Petrologic Type (3-6) according to Van Schums and Wood (1967)
criteria. Then the sample is put in an electron microprobe to find it's
Group, by finding it's bulk composition. The electron microprobe does not
destroy the sample, it only makes tiny pits about the size of the beam
(which is very small). A plot of Olivine (Fa#) vs. wt % Co in Kamacite are
used to put it in a group (H, L, LL).

Hope this answered some of your questions,
  Devin Schrader