[meteorite-list] Nininger and Perry Letters - Intermission 2

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:14 2004

------=_NextPart_001_006C_01C422FF.BB2CD960

Hello list,
Hope everybody is enjoying the letters. First let me start by marking a f=
ew corrections in case anyone is saving these. =20

Perry to Nininger Letter, Feb. 23, 1952 =20

"I think the inclosed letter to Dr. Harvill probably will end our propose=
d arrangement with the University of Arizona. As soon as I hear from him =
I expect to take he matter up with the University of Michigan. That insti=
tution spends five or six million a year in all manner of research work, =
largely financed by donations, so I think that there would be bickering o=
ver what you do or how you do it."
Should have read...
"I think the inclosed letter to Dr. Harvill probably will end our propose=
d arrangement with the University of Arizona. As soon as I hear from him =
I expect to take the matter up with the University of Michigan. That inst=
itution spends five or six million a year in all manner of research work,=
 largely financed by donations, so I think that there would be no bickeri=
ng over what you do or how you do it."

Also, from an earlier letter,
Nininger to Perry, Feb. 19, 1952 (from Mexico) =20
I had the two parts I could not read well. A couple helpful list members =
have helped me decode Nininger's writing here. =20
Vera Craig, should read Vera Cruz, and "prince of a inon(?)", should read=
 "prince of a man". A common phrase of the time. Thanks for the help. =20

You will also note that I had on the letterhead of Dr. Harvill letters, U=
niversity of Arkansas. This should have been Arizona. This I had done on =
purpose to see if anyone would notice. University of Arkansas in Tucson. =
While I can assume a couple of you did notice, no one said anything to me=

And for your intermission break, some Meteor Crater photographs taken at =
the crater, which appear to show a young couple in love......the back of =
photographs give the date, November 26, 1945, and identifies them as the =
Ahrendts. For more on information and photographs on Meteor Crater, see t=
his month's Meteorite Times. (www.meteoritetimes.com).
Meteor Crater Ahrendts Photographs
http://www.meteoritearticles.com/colmeteorcraterahredts.html

It is interesting to note that around now, the relationship of Nininger a=
nd Perry starts to now change. They are becoming good friends rather then=
 just business or profession associates. They start referring to each oth=
er in first name, and towards the end of the letters, they start mentioni=
ng their wives and/or express good wishes to each others wife in closing.=
 =20
I hope referring to Stuart Perry as "Perry" I am not confused anyone with=
 Robert Perry, the northern explore who is commonly believed to be the fi=
rst person to make it to the north pole and who recovered the Cape York i=
ron meteorites. Personally, I would have preferred calling him Stuart to=
 avoid any possible confusion, but then I would almost have to say Harvey=
 and Stuart....and well, now I am starting to ramble.

Mark Bostick
www.meteoritearticles.com

------=_NextPart_001_006C_01C422FF.BB2CD960

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV> <P>Hello list=
,</P> <P>Hope everybody is enjoying the letters. First let me start by ma=
rking a few corrections in case anyone is saving these. </P> <P>&nbsp;</P=
><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"> <P>Perry to Nininger Letter, Feb. 23, 19=
52 </P></FONT> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>"<FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">I think t=
he inclosed letter to Dr. Harvill probably will end our proposed arrangem=
ent with the University of Arizona. As soon as I hear from him I expect t=
o take he matter up with the University of Michigan. That institution spe=
nds five or six million a year in all manner of research work, largely fi=
nanced by donations, so I think that there would be bickering over what y=
ou do or how you do it."</P> <P>Should have read...</P> <P>"I think the i=
nclosed letter to Dr. Harvill probably will end our proposed arrangement =
with the University of Arizona. As soon as I hear from him I expect to ta=
ke the matter up with the University of Michigan. That institution spends=
 five or six million a year in all manner of research work, largely finan=
ced by donations, so I think that there would be no bickering over what y=
ou do or how you do it."</P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>Also, from&nbsp;an earlier =
letter,</P> <P>Nininger to Perry, Feb. 19, 1952 (from Mexico) </P> <P>I h=
ad the two parts I could not read well. A couple helpful list members hav=
e helped me decode Nininger's writing here. </P> <P>Vera Craig, should re=
ad Vera Cruz, and "prince of a inon(?)", should read "prince of a man". A=
 common phrase of the time. Thanks for the help. </P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>Yo=
u will also note that I had on the letterhead of Dr. Harvill letters, Uni=
versity of Arkansas. This should have been Arizona. This I had done on pu=
rpose to see if anyone would notice. University of Arkansas in Tucson. Wh=
ile I can assume a couple of you did notice, no one said anything to me.<=
/P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>And for your intermission break, some Meteor Crater =
photographs taken at the crater, which appear to show a young couple in l=
ove......the back of photographs give the date, November 26, 1945, and id=
entifies them as the Ahrendts. For more on information and photographs on=
 Meteor Crater, see this month's Meteorite Times. (<A href=3D"http://www.=
meteoritetimes.com">www.meteoritetimes.com</A>).</P> <P>Meteor Crater Ahr=
endts Photographs</P> <P><A href=3D"http://www.meteoritearticles.com/colm=
eteorcraterahredts.html">http://www.meteoritearticles.com/colmeteorcrater=
ahredts.html</A></P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>It is interesting to note that arou=
nd now, the relationship of Nininger and Perry starts to now change. They=
 are becoming good friends rather then just business or profession associ=
ates. They start referring to each other in first name, and towards the e=
nd of the letters, they start mentioning their wives and/or express good =
wishes to&nbsp;each others&nbsp;wife in closing. </P> <P>I hope referring=
 to Stuart Perry as "Perry" I am not confused anyone with Robert Perry, t=
he northern explore who is commonly believed to be the first person to ma=
ke it to the north pole and who recovered the Cape York iron meteorites. =
&nbsp;Personally, I would have preferred calling him Stuart to avoid any =
possible confusion, but then I would almost have to say Harvey and Stuart=
...and well, now I am starting to ramble.</P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>Mark Bost=
ick</P> <P><A href=3D"http://www.meteoritearticles.com">www.meteoritearti=
cles.com</A></FONT></P></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_006C_01C422FF.BB2CD960--