[meteorite-list] Main mass of Oum Dreyga (Amgala) recovered !

From: philippe thomas <thomasmeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:14 2004

Dear Adam and List Members,

I can quite believe that the main mass of this meteorite is weighing over 2=
.5 kg (If it=92s the=20
case, I ask to everybody to excuse me for the title of my first message) bu=
t I have never=20
heard about this piece and nobody has shown a picture of it.

I know, of course, that this meteorite (Oum Dreyga/Amgala) is already being=
 studied at NAU,=20
but as it often arrives, this meteorite will be analysed by several laborat=
ories. I think that=20
this is a good thing and that the comparison of different studies is always=
 rich in learnings.

It=92s sure that it is an H chondrite, the exact type will be determinated =
by the analyses.

I can=92t believe that a professionnal can confuse a L chondrite with a H c=
hondrite and a=20
weathering grade 2 with a weathering grade 0.

There is a lot of swindles in this stuff, and perhaps the ill-intentioned p=
eople would like to=20
sell Zag pieces for pieces of the new fall. But again, it=92s seems to me r=
eally improbable to=20
confuse them. Zag meteorite looks really special and is recognizable at the=
 first glance. Even=20
the pieces recovered three or four years ago don=92t have the sight of a me=
teorite which is on=20
Earth since few months.

The one who has had the fortune to handle some meteorites which fell on Ear=
th few times=20
ago, known the =AB mint =BB appearance of them. This appearance can=92t be =
confused with the=20
ones which had been exposed to weathering for some times. I have had the oc=
casion to=20
handle a nice piece of Ben Sour recovered 15 months after the fall. This pi=
ece was already=20
affected by the desert varnish.

Best Regards,
Philippe