[meteorite-list] Meteorite Thin Section Crust Photos

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:15 2004

------=_NextPart_001_0038_01C42569.3ACD8DC0

Hello List,
I have taken a few thin section photographs showing meteorite crust. This=
 is not easy for my setup as it pretty much demands that part of the lowe=
r light on my microscope is shining at me while I am trying the photo. Th=
in Section photos are not easy without this extra light, so I ask you giv=
e me some leeway, as I do not have the time at the moment to take better =
photographs. (My father is here today and I have been grilling outside, s=
o to spend more then 20-30 min. on the photos was not an option).
I will note that the following photographs only show common chondrites. O=
nly one of my achondrite thin sections shows crust and it is not in a spo=
t I can get a good polarized photograph of so I have left it off.
It appears to me that the pyroxene, burns away faster then the olivine an=
d spots of olivine break through the crust line at times. I do not notice=
 any difference in desert vanished meteorites, then the thin sections fro=
m fall meteorites. With the exception of Tulia A, in with it is not deser=
t vanish and instead just weathering. In this case, olivine in the crust =
is much harder to notice and has pretty much weathered into the crust. I =
have not seen the Tulia A specimen the thin section was made from and thi=
s might now be crust at all, but rather natural mineralization. =20
However, I think it is fair to say that meteorite crust looks very much a=
like, at least in chondrites.
The photographs I have put on my web page, if anyone would like to add mo=
re photographs feel free to e-mail them to me (I would prefer optimized i=
mages).
http://www.meteoritearticles.com/colthinsectioncrust.html
Mark Bostick
www.meteoritearticles.com

------=_NextPart_001_0038_01C42569.3ACD8DC0

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV><FONT size=3D2=
> <P>Hello List,</P> <P>I have taken a few thin section photographs showi=
ng meteorite crust. This is not easy for my setup as it pretty much deman=
ds that part of the lower light on my microscope is shining at me while I=
 am trying the photo. Thin Section photos are not easy without this extra=
 light, so I ask you give me some leeway, as I do not have the time at th=
e moment to take&nbsp;better photographs. (My father is here today and I =
have been grilling outside, so to spend more then 20-30 min. on the photo=
s was not an option).</P> <P>I will note that the following photographs o=
nly show common chondrites. Only one of my achondrite thin sections shows=
 crust and it is not in a spot I can get a good polarized photograph of s=
o I have left it off.</P> <P>It appears to me that the pyroxene, burns aw=
ay faster then the olivine and spots of olivine break through the crust l=
ine at times. I do not notice any difference in desert vanished meteorite=
s, then the thin sections from fall meteorites. With the exception of Tul=
ia A, in with it is not desert vanish and instead just weathering. In thi=
s case, olivine in the crust is much harder to notice and has pretty much=
 weathered into the crust. I have not seen the Tulia A specimen the thin =
section was made from and this might now be crust at all, but rather natu=
ral mineralization. </P> <P>However, I think it is fair to say that meteo=
rite crust looks very much alike, at least in chondrites.</P> <P>The phot=
/P> <P><A href=3D"http://www.meteoritearticles.com/colthinsectioncrust.ht=
ml">http://www.meteoritearticles.com/colthinsectioncrust.html</A></P> <P>=
Mark Bostick</P> <P>www.meteoritearticles.com</P></FONT></DIV></BODY></HT=

------=_NextPart_001_0038_01C42569.3ACD8DC0--