[meteorite-list] More on Shipping, etc.

From: minador <minador_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:15 2004

Hi All,

My current job requires a lot of shipping. We average about 50 shipments a
day so I've seen some real horror stories...

Regarding the "fragile" warning Michael mentioned, our UPS guy warned us to
not write any warnings on the boxes. They're having a lot of labor
relations issues right now. I didn't know the same problem existed with the
USPS, but it doesn't surprise me. Thanks for the warning Michael.

UPS does a pretty good job for us, but smaller padded envelopes tend to get
lost more frequently. Our smaller stuff goes USPS except when we require
tracking (for a very large or suspicious order). We found that we saved
about $4 per order, so it's worth the trip to the post (UPS comes to our
door). We haven't had any orders lost since this became our policy (about
1.5 years). So it doesn't seem to be risky to use first class w/o
confirmation (although it's an easy choice when using company funds). When
shipping for yourself, it is a more difficult decision.

Regarding survivability, I found that the combination of oversized boxes and
a lot of padding is the key. Even though a box can be driven over (happens
every few months), you would be surprised to find that most items won't be
damaged if properly packaged. And when you think about it, a slightly
oversized box isn't going to change the weight significantly. Plus if you
buy your boxes in bulk, a slightly larger size will only be 2 or 3 cents
extra per unit. For some of the more fragile items, we'll double box, (even
small
items). As a manufacturer, the cost is worth the peace of mind and saved
time. Not
to mention making life easier for our customers.

I have never received a damaged meteorite. Only once have I received a
severely damaged box (Priority mail). Since the Hupe's packaged the
meteorites carefully, there was no danger to them. I have received some
shipments that have made me worry. Had an envelope been torn or crushed,
the
specimens would have been severely damaged (more likely lost). I've
received some international shipments that fell into the same category.
Luckily none of them have been abused by the shipper. To be fair, most of
those
(domestic) dealers charged very little for shipping. So I suppose I
received
what I paid for.

An aside for the dealers: If description cards are placed inside a zip lock
baggie with a meteorite, they are usually damaged in some way. For most
collectors that's probably not an issue.

I hope that my company's policies aren't impractical or too expensive
for most on this list. I hope many will find my comments useful, and maybe
the points given by all to date will help prevent damage to precious
specimens.

I personally think that what I pay for meteorites is a bargain, and that
customer service is exceptional 99.9% of the time. I very much appreciate
all the dealers who have sold me beautiful specimens the last couple of
years. Keep up the great work!

Happy hunting/collecting/selling/studying, etc.,

Mark

Mark A. Bowling
VAIL, AZ