[meteorite-list] Native iron in DHO 007

From: mark ford <markf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Aug 3 12:22:18 2004

Bernd, and list,

Thanks Bernd, we can always rely on you for an explanation.

I still don't quite get how the metal grains can exist, shouldn't all
the metallic iron be bound up?

 I can understand the Fe in the pigeonite (but this would be really
tiny), but there is reasonable amount of ~0.5mm fresh Fe/Ni metal
grains/flecks showing in the matrix, though it doesn't appear to be in
the plagioclase...

Could the over abundance of metal be connected the anomalous oxygen
environment, it is thought to have formed in?

 I suppose it could be brecciation with some well differentiated
Chondritic material mixed in...?

Best,

Mark Ford