[meteorite-list] Amgala...I see no problem

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Aug 7 08:15:14 2004

Hello List, Adam, Matteo-Mauro and Martin,

Hope everyone is doing well.

I think Martin hit the nail on the head with his comment "But Amgala just
came out." Before something can have a value, it has to be traded or sold.
Hence, when we say the Mona Lisa is priceless, we are being truthful. So
this does not mean that Amgala is in "ruin", but rather the meteorite has
started to establish a price, which I think we will find will be around
$6-8/g. Lets be honest, $10/g is a little high for a new African fall.

Adam, I am not sure what you mean to accomplish with this e-mail string or
your last "everyone better stop" e-mail. Though I must admit, you did get
quite a few "you tell them" like responses with the last. No offense Adam, I
just do not see them as productive. More like a call to arms.

I am sure you have seen more of this meteorite then me, but I must say I
have not seen any Zag being offered as Amgala. All of the Amgala pieces I
have seen have a very nice velvet like crust. Much fresher then my "fresh"
Zag and nothing at all like the Zag I have seen from Morocco the last three
years. Nobody I have seen, in my opinion, has offered any Zag to collectors
as Amgala.

Martin also pointed out a new meteorite will often change in value, after it
has been out a little while and more dealers are selling it. This is not
something that is only with meteorites, that is true in most markets, and
this does not mean the dealer that sold you some the first week or
avaiability ripped you off. This just means you took a chance and picked up
a piece early. Then the laws of economics kicks in, supply and demand. An
interesting note is that most mass market items, are cheaper the first week
or two, go up closer to retail, and then drop again in price in about six
months. Getting a sample early has its advantages also. You insure a
specimen in your collection, and you often have your pick of many different
pieces.

So the problem with Amgala? Most (or some) seem to think it is price. I
don't see a problem. Sure I wish I could sell my slices for $10/g. but I am
will to take $6/g., make a little, and be happy. (I have a few slices ~30g.,
listed in my ebay auctions, search seller: meteoritesandmore).

Hope to see many of you at the Denver show next month and looking forward to
a cold Margarita.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
www.meteoritearticles.com