[meteorite-list] Dronino is an (ungrouped) ataxite

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Aug 8 17:45:13 2004

Marcin wrote:

> Pattern is strange. Only idea I just have then was, that this looks strange
> like Taza. Of course this is not the same, but this looks the same strange
> like Taza pattern, I not know any other similar pattern like from Dronino.

Hi List,

The Meteoritical Bulletin, No. 88 can shed some light on this Taza-like structure.
What you are looking at is probably taenite present as elongated precipitates
with sulfide inclusions rounded and elongated along the banding.

But one thing is for sure: it is a very exotic iron meteorite because, on the one
hand, it is closely related to IVA irons, whereas, on the other, its low Au and Ga
contents clearly distinguish the Dronino element pattern from that of any known
iron meteorite group.

I am probably one of the few collectors who still do not possess any
Dronino specimen for fear of it rusting away as fast as some Nantans.

"Some Nantans", ... yes, because I have a 335-gram cur endpiece that I got
from the Zeitschels many years ago and it is still as fresh as it was when it
arrived.

I also have a Brenham 195-gram slice that I purchased at least 25 years ago
and it is as pristine as it was when I got it. Alex Seidel kept warning me about
it being prone to rusting but it just won't rust, ... not even a trace of rust :-)

My very small Morasko slice, on the other hand, turned black after a few months
so that the Widmannstaetten pattern is no longer discernible.

Some Cape York irons are real rust buckets whereas other are very stable.

Why? There are so many factors that contribute to a meteorite's stability
and, over the years, we have had several threads discussing this aspect.

Best from stifling hot
Southern Germany,

Bernd