[meteorite-list] Earths core

From: Marc D. Fries <m.fries_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Aug 9 10:25:20 2004

Greetings

   A quick two cents... It makes sense that the heaviest elements will
sink to the center of a planetary body, and that far more than enough
would accumulate to sustain a nuclear reaction. The problem that nags
at me is - how to moderate the reactor? In a nuclear reactor,
moderator rods (graphite, I think...) are used to slow down fission
neutrons enough that they can be absorbed by the fuel to sustain the
reaction. Recall that the first nuclear reactor, under the stadium in
Chicago, was composed of fissile material encased in graphite moderator
blocks. The "natural reactors" in uranium deposits in Africa show
signs that they only operated during periods of heavy rainfall -
groundwater perculating through the deposits would act as a moderator
and allow the deposit to sustain a nuclear reaction.
   So - what would act as a moderator in the core of a planet? I'm going
way out on a limb here, but I bet that groundwater is right out...!

   Is it possible that a reactor in the core would simply be large enough
to self-moderate? Any nuclear engineers out there care to have a shot
at this?

Cheers,
MDF

--