[meteorite-list] Antarctic Craters Reveal Strike

From: Marc D. Fries <m.fries_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Aug 20 10:09:33 2004

Howdy

   The date matches well, but not much else, and thats certainly not
enough to pitch all other findings out the window over. It does show
that the Earth was bombarded with good-sized impactors at a time when
we already know there were impacts, as the existance of the tektites
tells us in the first place. It doesn't clear up problems such as the
size distribution, which points to an impact event in SE Asia, or the
fact that the presumably farther-thrown Australites were partially
remelted by re-entry when those in Vietnam and the Phillipines were
not. This also points to an impact in SE Asia and is strong evidence
against a source impact in Antarctica. SE Asia is farther from
Antarctica than Australia, and if the source were Antarctica then it
should be the SE Asia tektites that were remelted; not the Australites.
   Sorry; even if the Antarctic strikes pan out, there's still a lot of
explaining to do if anyone wants to tie them to the tektite field. It
would be interesting to search for a compositional match between the
Antarctic impactors and the source of the SE Asia tektites, though.
Perhaps they were events that can be tied to a single disruption in the
asteroid belt.

My 2 cents,
MDF

--