[meteorite-list] Are Meteorites For Boys Only?

From: Anita Westlake <libawc_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Aug 23 09:44:42 2004

I believe you are right: girls are oriented towards girlish things to a
certain extent. I remember being a kid and watching my older brother become
fascinated with dinosaurs. At a very early age he was correctly identifying
pictures of different dinosaurs and pronouncing these wonderfully exotic
names. I was in awe of him and jealous of the attention he was getting from
my parents. When I tried to join in, I was ignored. (Of course, I didn't
know what I was talking about...)

It wasn't until I pursued my love of rocks, minerals and fossils on my own
that I discovered meteorites. I would venture to say that girls/women aren't
exposed to these things and therefore don't know what they're missing! When
I show people my collection (men and women) I occasionally see that gleam in
their eyes ("How cool is that?" "Wow, who would thought?") but then the
flash goes away and they start thinking about what they're going to have for
dinner.

Anita