[meteorite-list] Cinnabar veins in meteorites?

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Aug 27 16:38:30 2004

> I have found some historical accounts of meteorites
> with red veins, supposedly cinnabar. Can such things be?

Hello Chris and List,

I f you are talking about Colston Bassett - the answer is definitely
no because it is a pseudometeorite. The Catalogue says that :
"A boulder lying in the churchyard has been identified as cinnabar,
probably from Peru. Its meteoritic origin appears to be 'purely a
fabrication of local legend', W.A.S. Sarjeant, The Mercian Geologist,
1971, 4, p. 41."

If you are talking about Allende or Murchison, the answer may be yes
because *minute* amounts of Hg (= mercury) have been identified in
them: Allende = 30 ? 1.5 ng/g and Murchison = 294 ? 15 ng/g. Well,
just like iron + sulfur = FeS (troilite), Hg + S = HgS = cinnabar.