[meteorite-list] Caliche

From: branchw_at_bellsouth.net <branchw_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Dec 3 17:54:16 2004

Hi Mark,

Yes, I was under the impression that Gardners in the, for example, desert SW
US hated this stuff because it was so difficult to penetrate (cement-like)
and that water would not penetrate it.

I started using a dental pick and brass brush on a whopper 7 lb NWA 869 I
got from Dean (thanks Dean, the meteorite is great). I will now use a
combination of the dental pick and a drop or two of acetic acid and see how
that goes on those tough spots. There is something therapeutic about
cleaning meteorites (strange, I know).

I have gotten some really nice and inexpensive specimens in recent months.
I need to post some (YAWN) pictures.

-Walter