[meteorite-list] Pellisson, the end of a free meteorite hobby?

From: Martin Altmann <Altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Dec 3 22:12:17 2004

Holler Doug,

I'm joining this list for not so long time, perhaps since 2 years?
And found this kind of threads of "Stop this, I have the uuuups I can't
write here, or I tell it to my Mommy" more or less amusing (with the time:
less) and can imagine, that theese may be sometimes enlightning for the
collectors, f.e. when the dealers put each other their buying prices in the
pipe for smoking it.

But this now with Pellisons? Never saw something so rotten before in the
meteorite section.
It's not about France - btw. whenever I see Mrs Chirac holding a speech, I
fell remembered to the unique Louis de Funes (did someone else noticed this?
His gesture, his facial expressions, his intonation...). And I don't speak
French, was a lazy pupil...
Uuuuh, how painful, in my last email I really wrote "Bidet", my apology,
it's late here..."Bidaut" I wanted to write.Sorry.

This has another dimension to me and I take it for personal, although I'm
almost not dealing with NWAs and my collection is archconservative, observed
falls only.

Would be the same, if I once would travel to Thailand for a beach holiday or
to visit Oliver's Aid project, which he hopefully will be able to errect
with your partial help in buying his superare and great Chiang Khan
specimens:
http://www.meteorite-oliver.com/index.html

Gosh, there is no other source for this rare fall, the price is now in my
eyes to low, the specimens have good black crust, not so brown as it seems
on the pictures with artificial light, they are still amazingly fresh, I
have them all here. No material will come up more, Thailand is empty. Xmas
is coming and the sale is for charity. Take a look, Allan Lang find his 5.3g
individual (not buyed from Oliver, but only to express the rarity) well
worth to be exposed on his online museum, nor could I find Chiang Khan in
the Killgore's great picture book...

where we are? Yes, if I thus would travel to Thailand, I don't want to read
the next day in the newspaper or at the Pellisons' homepage, that I'm a
sex-tourist, who supports the exploition of children.

This, what the Pellisons stated, seems to me really remarkably mean. Far
from the common rants.
And I'm far from starting an unreflected fast clamour for a boycott ( in
Germany we should have a special sensivity for not doing so for historical
reasons), as we had this Pellison case months ago on this list, but since
they owed any proof of their accusations.
Thus I asked again for facts, otherwise they should apology and remove the
page.

You've to think, that in the very recent times so many new collectors come
against the meteorites, who can't survey or have no ideas about the Mahgreb
market.
I try my best and spend a lot of time to instruct them and to show them the
fascinating aspects of those stones,
but what will they think of me, if they read this Pellison conspiracy crap
and take it for real?
I swapped and sold some few NWAs also to rookies.
Shall I let me call a supporter of criminals?
That's why I need a personal apology by the Pellisons.

It's a pitty, they have a beautiful homepage with interesting pictures,
features and stories
and I even can understand, that their meteorites are very expensive, as to
go to hunt by one's own, to get the stuff classified, to care for proper
find documentation is by far the hardest approach to this business, much
harder than to jet to Morocco and just to buy, what lies on the
tables there and at the actual price level it's almost impossible to get
back even the cost of the expeditions, if you'll sell at ebay prices or if
you won't have the luck to discover a really rare type (and there are by far
less to find, as one could have the impression with all the paired or
unknown paired NWAs)
but this is no reason for displace competitors in trying to criminalize them
and to draw a grotesque image of them in public.

That is different from the usual pingpong on the list here and no fun
anymore.
Sleepily yours
Martin