[meteorite-list] Strange Flashes, Rumblings in Australia

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Dec 5 22:32:38 2004

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,11601463%255E26462,00.html

Meteorite caused flashes: expert
news.com.au (Australia)
December 6, 2004

STRANGE flashes of light, vibrations and loud rumblings heard early
today by residents along the New South Wales coast could be caused by a
meteorite, according to one expert.

The flashes are said to have occurred about 4am AEDT. ABC Radio received
reports from listeners from Coffs Harbour to Wollongong.

Rob McNaught, from the Siding Springs Observatory at Coonabarabran, says
it has all the hallmarks of a meteorite which came within 20km of the
earth's surface, the ABC reported.

One caller, Dorothy, from near Macksville, told the ABC Mid-North Coast
Breakfast program of her experience.

"I'd only just got out of bed and I was looking out a northerly facing
window and to me it just lit up the hills," she said.

"It didn't seem to come out of the sky like lightning does - I thought
it might have been a vehicle light's flashing, but it was too much of a
flash for that and it may have been five minutes later that there was a
low rumble."