[meteorite-list] Question about oriented meteorites

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Dec 6 00:37:48 2004

Have to agree with Mike on this one -- "orientated" has an awful
sound to it. I flinch nearly as much when I see that word as I do
reading "proof" when "prove" is meant, and "prove" when "proof" is
meant (how do people confuse the two?)

So that this post is somewhat more meteorite-related, I note (as
I believe another list member did a day or so ago) that something
is wrong with the story about the supposed iron fall in Sri Lanka:

"The object weighing 47.015 kg with a 4.75 specific gravity was
fallen..."

Either the specific gravity is wrong (or in unfamiliar units), or
the mass is wrong, or the object isn't an iron meteorite. I suppose
it could still be another type of meteorite (meso or pallasite?)

--Rob