[meteorite-list] Oriented vs orientated

From: Robert Woolard <meteoritefinder_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Dec 6 08:47:49 2004

Hello List,

  Thanks for all the replies. I think I may have the
answer. I think it depends on whether or not you are
using the word as an adjective, noun, or verb. See
these examples:

  1. It is an oriented meteorite.
  2. It exhibits orientation.
  3. As it was falling, one side was orientated toward
     the ground.

  So, in most cases that we would see here on the list
or on eBay describing a meteorite with obvious front
and back sides, it seems the correct term would be
oriented, as it would most likely be being used as an
adjective.

  Robert Woolard