[meteorite-list] Re: Question -Sri Lankan density

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Dec 6 12:22:30 2004

Herbert Raab carelessly wrote:(D

>> Doug wrote from a cold and dreary Mexico:
>>> But, No, the specific gravity has NO units to be
>>> right or wrong about.

>I need to disagree. The SI unit of density is the
>kilogram per cubic metre (kg/m^3). In these units,
>water has a density of 1,000 kg/m^3, and iron of
>7,870 kg/m^3. Density is frequently expressed in
>g/cm^3, however, and expressed in these units, water
>has a density of 1.0 g/cm^3 and iron 7.87 g/cm^3.
>One might also express the density in ounces per
>cubic inch (which would certainly a give very
>different numeric value), or whatever, as long
>as it's "mass divided by volume".
>Best greetings,
>Herbert

Hola Herbert,
Well if you insist to disagree, would you check with the engineers at Anton Paar, the accomplished Austrian company, regarding the definition of specific gravity, popular maker of some of the world's most innovative and finest density measurement systems. Austria has always impressed me as a brilliant node in physics and instrumentation. Or maybe your mind just translates specific gravity into your language(s) equivalent(s) for density? The words are very different although the pure numbers the same for list purposes. And if you learn something new about specific gravity, you can submit it to the Wikipedia at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relative_density
since they have have a wonderful plain English mineral-geological explanation of the why of specific gravity ("Relative Density").
Check also:
http://www.anton-paar.com/ap/apinternet/html/default/fsin-5p3dc9.en.0?bstabe=R

http://www.anton-paar.com/ap/apinternet/html/default/fsin-5p3dc9.en.0?bstabe=R