[meteorite-list] Opinions? Ideas?

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Dec 7 17:52:37 2004

Because meteorites don't make it to the ground with hypersonic velocities
unless they start out eight or more meters across, and the fireball from an
event like that would have lit up the sky, produced a long-lived smoke
trail, and created sonic booms heard for miles. At impact, it would have
produced a crater. There probably would have been many meteorites falling
since the parent would have been shedding material all the way down.

Something small enough to make a little smoke trail would have burned up
long before- it simply couldn't sustain a high velocity in the dense air at
low altitude.

If this were an ordinary meteorite, it would have been falling cold, at low
velocity, for the previous several minutes. It would not have traveled far
during the 50mS exposure if it were really at the distance to the wharf
(approximately 1km). It would not have created an explosion. (It might have
hit the lamp and caused the bulb to explode, but this looks too bright, and
not actually at the right spot on the fixture).

My bet is for something very close to the camera, probably a bug. The trail
is its blurred silhouette during the exposure, the "explosion" is the bug
caught in the flash of the camera at the end.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com