[meteorite-list] Opinions? Ideas?

From: Marc Fries <m.fries_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Dec 7 19:32:47 2004

Two problems: 1) there is no smear in the frames before and after this
one, and 2) look at the distance involved here - if the bright flash is an
exploding lamp, it would have created a fireball several meters in
diameter. Not bloody likely, and there's no evidence of such a blast in
the next frame. Also, APOD says there was no apparent damage to the lamp
post.

Plus - if we say that the "blast" is 1km away, and estimate the distance
the object traveled as about 1km in the frame... If the picture was
exposed in 50 ms (I also saw 20ms, which doesn't help any!), that means
the object would have to be moving at 20,000 m/s to cover the distance we
see here. Again - not bloody likely.

Count me in the "it's a bug caught by the flash" camp. The online
discussion looks like fun - there are folks in there with every
explanation from "hoax" to "wrinkle in the space-time continuum". If this
bug knew about all this hubbub, he/she would definately be a cult hero in
the insect world.

Cheers,
MDF

--