[meteorite-list] Mystery object in photo

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Dec 8 23:00:57 2004

Hi, Chris and everybody...

    Like you, I was horrified/disgusted at having to use JPEG's that were
practically one gigantic artifact. I would love to have the RAW data, but I
wouldn't be surprised to find it was gone by now. Usually, the conversion to an
image format takes place when downloading the RAW data from camera memory to a
computer, mediated by the capture software. If it's not still in the camera (or
its memory card), it's gone.
    The creator of the first difference image later posted another diff image
which shows the surface of the inlet between the pier and the camera and the
brightening is general over the entire inlet and brightest on a central line
from the camera to the flash. Here's the URL:
<http://images.isja.org/images/strange_diff_pryde_03.png>
    I don't think it's significant whether the streak enters the frame or starts
within it. The other characteristic you mention, the slight widening to the
left, could be considered another indication of a dissipating trail from the
object and hence proof it's real. But the image is not really good enough for
that.
    I judged a slight arc by enlarging the image to various degrees and putting
a flexible lucite scale on the face of my flat-screen! But the optics of digital
cameras are rife with spherical abberations of perspective, and this is a Cannon
G3, a cheap point and shoot.
    The camera (for those who asked) was set on automatic; the photographer did
not stand by the camera and make exposures. The frames are 15 seconds apart. All
digital images contain a set of embedded data about the camera state and
setting, time, and so forth. These can be faked but it's not that easy.
    As for whether the image is a fake, the best argument against it is this:
why would you fake an image about which no one can agree? Why make it look like
it hit a lamp post when you know the post won't show any damage? Why not just
photoshop in a BRIGHT streak, like everyone expects to see? It's easy; I could
take this picture and produce a lovely little fake in about an hour, complete
with fake embedded data. But it would ultimately be detectable.
    Now, why a low density object? Actually, it's easy to transport
extra-terrestial material with cosmic velocities gently to the surface of the
Earth without damage. Every year, tens of thousands of tons of cosmic particles
drift down through the atmosphere, taking weeks to days to do so, and plop onto
the planet. But they're tiny: dust. Equally, big nasty chunks try it, and they
are fried for trying. At some point, the dual axes of these graphs cross and the
entering survivors live there.
    The low angle of entry, complained about by many, is in fact one of the most
salient characteristics of a body that can survive to reach the surface of the
Earth. A grazing path slows the buildup of entry forces. Low density? As the
density decreases, the ratio of surface area to mass increases, until at some
point you have an object that can dissipate the heat of its entry sufficiently
to be non-luminous, like the "mystery" object.
    The suicidal path for a small meteorite is to bore straight into the
atmosphere from the zenith at high velocity. "Hell, it's only 30,000 meters; I
can make it in less than a second!" Poof!
    Additionally, a flattened shape would probably aid survival as well, but I'm
a physicist, so all my objects are generalized to spheres. :-)
    As for bugs... I didn't know it when I started reading all those pages of
argument, but there is a (pseudo) controversy about photographing insects; just
go Google "flying rods." If you photograph insects at slow shutter speeds, they
appear as strange alien forms with helical fins, and yes, there are some idiots
out there peddling bug videos as movies of tiny alien spacecraft invisible to
the naked eye, blah, blah...
    But the streak in the mystery photo (exposure 1/20 second), proposed to be a
time-blurred bug, does not look anything like what an actual long exposure image
of a flying insect looks like. Check out the "flying rods" and marvel at the
gullibility of the poor humans.
    I still don't know what this is.

Sterling K. Webb