[meteorite-list] Meteorite Collecting Expensive? Not!

From: branchw_at_bellsouth.net <branchw_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Dec 9 20:08:24 2004

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to share with everyone some recent acquisitions. I love these
specimens, not just because they are fine examples of meteorites, but also
because they were relatively inexpensive.

First up, here is one of my favorite meteorites, a 56 gram
chunk (fragment) of Allende. It show wonderful CAIs, nice bulging
chondrules and blebs of triolite. Unfortunately, I can't get very good
closeups with my present digital camera so you will have to take my word for
it - this is a stunning piece. I got it from Steve Arnold (Arkansas) for
$2.88/gram. Though no documentation was included, Steve indicated that this
piece was from the Elbert King collection. Take at look:
http://www.branchmeteorites.com/misc/all1.jpg
http://www.branchmeteorites.com/misc/all2.jpg

Next, we have one of the most sculpted specimens of Campo del Cielo I have
ever seen. It is VERY solid and I am sure will not simply rust away. It
displays exceptionally well, looking sort of like a horse's saddle or a
futuristic spaceship. The pictures really do not do it justice. Even my
most jaded relatives were impressed when I showed to them at Thanksgiving a
couple of weeks ago. Got this one from John Birdsell for .07/gram and it
weighs 1348 grams:
http://www.branchmeteorites.com/misc/camp1.jpg
http://www.branchmeteorites.com/misc/camp2.jpg
http://www.branchmeteorites.com/misc/camp3.jpg

Finally, look at this 3380 gram monster NWA 869 I got from Dean Bessey.
.10/gram and worth much more. I love the way it displays. It has nice
regmaglypts and it has a natural "overhang" which is where I have placed the
Allende (for now, anyway). I am having fun cleaning the caliche from the
surface. It even came with real NWA sand trapped in some tight places,
oooo - aahhhh
(cleaning that as well)! Take a look:
http://www.branchmeteorites.com/misc/nwa8691.jpg
http://www.branchmeteorites.com/misc/nwa8692.jpg
http://www.branchmeteorites.com/misc/nwa8693.jpg

Many thanks to Steve, John and Dean for such great specimens.

Great specimens obtained for a song. Who says meteorite collecting is
expensive.

Life is good, eh!

(BTW, dental picks make good cleaning instruments. I have a few extra. If
you need one, let me know and I will send one to you for free.)

-Walter