[meteorite-list] 17th century fireball illustrations

From: Dr. Svend Buhl <SvendBuhl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Dec 10 18:05:28 2004

Hi Martin and others,

the engraving is not on comets. Comets are desribed in a different chapter and you are correct, Mallet follows Plinius in his systematic approach to comets. But Mallet's comets are shown in a completely different manner. They all have a trapezoid or triangular trail with sharply defined edges. Like the one example in the upper left half of the picture.

This specific engraving shows different phenoma.

The antiquarian only sells a few illustrated pages, until now, I could not track a copy of the complete book.

cheers

Svend

www.niger-meteorite-recon.de