[meteorite-list] How to do it your self

From: David Freeman <dfreeman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Dec 11 11:47:33 2004

Dear Dana (and other mineral identification newbies);
May I suggest acquiring my favorite book and this is one you should own.
 Audubon Field Guide to Rocks and Minerals (about $22). By reading it
each winter when it is cold out, you will gradually become familiar with
minerals and minerals make up rocks. Evening reading one page about an
interesting rock or mineral will start you off. Try gold, silver,
diamond, or your favorite gemstone first to pick up how the minerals
form and are identified. By reading about rock types, you will become
familiar with how different rocks form and change the minerals into
other combinations of minerals.
After about three cover to cover readings of this book, reading a bit
each evening, your friends will think you have a geology degree. One
must accompany the read part with the handling and asking a million
questions part. Just like having a computer guru to tutor you in
computer problems, one needs a rock associate that can walk you through
difficult rock and mineral questions.
The Audubon book discusses hardness, crystal habit, associated minerals
that may be confused with like minerals, lots of pictures to ponder
color, also discusses environments in other rocks where like minerals
can be found. This one book has helped me get my rock education better
than any one book.
Get a good 10X hand loupe, a magnifying glass will get you started until
you find a good loupe. Learn the hardness scale. With loupe, hardness
test understanding (see your Audubon book), you will be half way to
mineral identification (if all else fails, see your guru or rock club
associate).
Not selling anything but, on eBay, if you go to my "about me" page, that
is a type in mjwy and click on the blue and red "me" next to mjwy (my
user ID), you will get to my "about me" page and half way down the page
of shipping disclaimers and instructions is my recommended book list.
 Most can be borrowed at the local library, or checked out on loan for
the postage cost, or you may wish to purchase either on eBay or at a
Hastings, or B. Dalton book store. I don't really sell any books on my
book list. Have sold out.
Maybe subscribing to Rock and Gem Magazine, or visiting Bob's Rock Shop Web
Site will help and be entertaining as well. Your local area may have a
club to join for bringing your show and tell rocks in to get identified.
American Federation of Mineralogical Societies can be looked up on Bobs
Rock Shop site (the official home to Rock and Gem Magazine) and see what
clubs are near you. An active rock club is a great place to learn
locally occurring rocks and minerals.
For a condensed version, of the above, get the Audubon Field Guide, a
hand lens/loupe, and a local rock guru, and get a near by club, or rock
shop shop to visit regularly and handle all the rocks and ask all the
questions you can.
Hope this helps all of you "do it yourselfers" out there.
Very good Saturday,
Dave Freeman
eBay ID mjwy