[meteorite-list] John’s Interesting Iron Meteorite, NWA 2677

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Dec 12 02:24:03 2004

Hello John and list,

I recently picked up a small piece of NWA 2677 from John Birdsell. An
interesting iron meteorite of 100g. It has been provisionally classified as
a “IIICD (aka: IAB subclass LM).”, noted from John’s website. I am not
really an iron expert, but I guess that means fine octahedrite. The
meteorite itself is somewhat confusing, as the nickel content doesn’t seen
to line up well with any of the IIICD’s except the Ataxites I suppose, but
this has a obvious bold octahedrite pattern.

I managed a pretty good photo of my slice on my collection page. (I now have
studio lights and equipment...which also of course means, my camera is
giving me problems now...:-(

http://www.meteoritearticles.com/colnwa2677.html

Also, John asked about possible pairs. Doing a little research on the iron
I have found the following meteorite classified somewhat close and location
of find possibly close. Could this be a possible pair?

Hassi-Jekna, IIICD, found El Golea, Algeria in 1890, TKW 1890, Bandwidth
.47mm.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
www.meteoritearticles.com