[meteorite-list] Meteorite finds per state? (In Area Per MeteoriteFound)

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Dec 12 02:59:29 2004

Hi All,

Mark wrote:

> Rob noted, "By next year's Bulletin, California's published total
> will probably exceed that of Kansas."

> That is of course not accounting for paired finds. New Mexico
> really doesn't have over 200 meteorites either, and I am sure I
> am not the only one that would like to see a large scale pairing
> project done on west Texas meteorites.

> Lets number every Brenham and then talk numbers...:-)

Not as many of California's 95 meteorites are paired as you might
think. If all of California's current known finds were included,
I'm pretty confident that there would be more than 95 unpaired
meteorites. At least 20 of my finds are unpaired, and I don't
expect that I represent a fifth of the state's total.

Still, it would be interesting if one could break out the state
totals by minimum ~unique~ finds (based on estimates from
classification differences and locality). --Rob