[meteorite-list] Meteorite finds per state? (In Area Per MeteoriteFound)

From: Jerry A. Wallace <jwal2000_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Dec 12 14:32:57 2004

Mark Bostick wrote:

> ...and I am sure I am not the only one that would like to see a large
> scale pairing project done on west Texas meteorites.

Gosh Mark, I would never pick on your collection like that.

But, like you, I've had my suspicions about a few of the closely related
west Texas meteorites.
I've wondered just how accurate some of the lab results/ analyses have
been when it comes
to the very minor differences in petrology found in some of the
geographically close (as well as
petrographically close) finds here in this vast wonderland known as west
Texas.

No, let me restate that... I'm not really questioning the "accuracy" of
the results of different labs,
but since each lab has its own unique set of equipment (ie. microprobe,
chromatograph, cross
light polararizers, etc., -well, I'm beginning to show my ignorance here
since I'm not at all sure
what equipment a typical 'meteorite lab' would have and I barely have an
inkling of how it works
and to what end) then it would seem (to an under-educated desert bumpkin
such as myself) that
there is probably a mixture of different brands, ages, and types of gear
in those diverse labs.
And, unless I miss my guess, each of those different pieces of equipment
has its own method and
criteria for calibration. To me, it just seems logical that there would
be a slight built-in skewing
and difference of the petrological results that any particular lab would
report for any given
meteorite in comparison to the results that a different lab might report
on exactly the same piece
of a specimen being tested.

I hope you can devise some sense of what I'm trying to say from the
above mess.

Which brings to mind an idea for the Tucson Show. I would love to be
wandering down the aisles
and rows there and stumble upon an exhibit titled "Typical Meteorite Lab
(and How It Works.)
They would have to drive me off with a stick at closing time.

But back to my supposition... did I make a fair assumption concerning
different brands or ages
of the various pieces of testing equipment giving minute differences in
results?

Best Regards and Seasons Greetings,

Jerry
West Texas Prowler