[meteorite-list] Meteorite Substitution- What if...

From: Mike Groetz <mpg444_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Dec 12 19:22:54 2004

Good (COLD and WINDY) Evening from Ohio-
   I have been wondering this all weekend and trying
to come up with some logical answers myself- but so
far am at a loss.
   And I sincerely hope this question does not give
anyone ideas. People on this list are generally more
than trustworthy so I'm going to ask it.
   What is to stop someone from buying a nicer, low
weathered, unclassified NWA meteorite and
claiming/submitting it for analyzation and naming as a
find from a local desert- say in the western US?
   I know there is nothing to actually stop someone
from trying - but I wonder if part of the lab
analyzation includes typical surface weathering
features for the area, soil type, etc. relating to the
location of claim?
   I'm hoping there are reasons that this would be
caught and stopped- would anyone on the list know?

Thank you
Mike