[meteorite-list] Re: Tucson Show, Party, Harvey Awards, Venue, etc.

From: Geoffrey Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Dec 17 12:36:32 2004

Cap'n Blood posted:

> > First: Thanks to you and Steve Arnold (of Arkansas) for the
> great dinners and awards of the past.

Dear Michael, Dave, Bob, and All:

Well . . . you're welcome Michael! Thanks for participating every year,
and for putting on your most excellent auctions. Our "Big Weekend" in
Tucson is one of the highlights of the year for me. I also appreciate
your feedback.

I like La Fuente too, but some of our guests were unhappy with the
service; others found it too crowded or too expensive, or too slow;
some couldn't hear the awards ceremony from the back of the room, etc.
Also, La Fuente is now under new management and . . . well, the bottom
line really is that after three years in the same venue Steve and I
felt that a change was in order. We don't want our meteorite parties to
get stuck in an old rut!

There is certainly the option for those who would like, to get together
early for a dinner at La Fuente, or elsewhere, or to go the AAPS buffet
at the Mineral and Fossil Co-op, which is fun and will be good food
too. I don't think serving food at the Arizona Plaza during the party
is a realistic option, as it would have to be catered (there is no
restaurant on the premises) and that would put me in the poor house in
no time. Smoked salmon, caviar and Grey Goose vodka martinis for all
you wonderful guys?! Yikes! : )

> Where, exactly, is this place, anyway? (In reference to one of the
better known dealer's location).

The hotel we are considering is the old Ramada Inn University, on North
Oracle and Drachman, now called the Arizona Plaza. It's the hotel with
the palm trees and big lawn where Blaine has set up for many years,
along with many of the fossil dealers, and is just across the way from
the Executive Inn where Allan Lang and others set up.

I did get a few positive replies off-List, regarding this idea. Thanks!

I realize this discussion is somewhat OT and I apologize if it bores
List members who are not coming to Tucson '05. But then . . . there
*is* still plenty of time to get a room at the Arizona Plaza : )

Regards to all,

Geoff N.
www.notkin.net
www.paleozoic.org