[meteorite-list] Photos CHIANG KHAN, finally!

From: Martin Altmann <Altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Dec 17 15:23:18 2004

Hola list,

finally I created an album containing the pictures of all available Chiang
Khan specimens.
Use this link:
http://photos.yahoo.com/metmartinde
Click on the picture there and
22 photos made under the despiteous hibernal sun, hiding nothing, should
appear.
The weights are indicated under each picture.

Now a description of the specimens:

12.20 grams
A broken stone, somewhat large then half of the entire stone, which is
obvious as on one side there is faint rollover lip visible, which helps to
estimate the initial size of the specimen.
It has the shape of a cone, with fresh and black fusion crust all around.
The base of the cone, thus the smallest side, is the broken face, where you
could see the light grey interior with some metal grains. The fusion crust
has a crack, where the stone hit the ground, but it's totally stable, no
pieces will fell apart.
A few very faint indications of flow lines are visible.
It is one of the freshest specimens Oliver could get, as it was collected by
the locals directly after the fall.
Size: 2.2cm x 2.0cm x 1.9cm = 0.87" x 0.79" x 0.75"

17.00 grams
A pretty individual, where I would say a quarter is missing.
It has complete fusion crust around, only on the broken part it's missing.
Again very fresh, only in one part there are some minor stainings on the
crust. Interesting is, that you could see the brecciation on the broken
surface.
One of the half of this surface is darker with a sharp border to the lighter
part. Chiang Khan is brecciated similar like Pultusk or Juancheng.
Size: 2.6cm x 2.1cm x 1.9cm = 1.02" x 0.83" x 0.75"

23.11 grams
A fragment, two sides with a broken surface, one cut surface and two sides,
also the largest of them, fusion crusted.
It displayes the unfreshest crust of all (but still better than f.e. a
Gao-Guenie,
has some black parts too). On the small cut surface two lithologies
and loads of iron flakes are visible,
several capillary black shock veines are crossing the largest of the broken
surfaces.
Some stainings. Approx 30% fusion crust, I estimate.
Size: 3.4cm x 2.6cm x 2.1cm = 1.34" x 1.02" x 0.83"

25.25 grams
Fragment with 5 sides and ca. 20% fusion crust. Crust fresher than that of
the 23g fragment.
Two of the broken sides are looking scuffed.
This and the 23g should be taken in consideration, if one plans to cut some
micromounts for resale for refinancate ones own collection piece
 - the other specimens are to pitty for that.
Size: 3.6cm x 2.7cm x 2.1cm = 1.42" x 1.06" x 0.83"

31.19 grams
A beautiful specimen!
Rather a broken individual than a fragment as the very good fusion crust
turns around three sides. A small cut window it has. Faint indications of
flow lines around one edge I imagine to recognize. In some corners of the
broken
surfaces one can detect parts of the darker lithology.
A fine and fresh piece.
Size: 4.1cm x 2.7cm x 2.1cm = 1.61" x 1.06" x 0.83"

41.04 grams
Already sold, but enjoy! Isn't it that, what is called "killeroriented?"

70.7 grams
And last but not least: The Whopper!
Amazingly large.
One of Oliver's own detector finds - thus not so fresh anymore,
but certainly better than a Gao.
I take no stock in artificially "refreshing" meteorites in polishing or
blasting away the upper layer of the fusion crust, to mack it black again.
This stone has its history in the ground of the strewnfield and should stay
like it is.
It has one smooth side, one with large slots and the base has small pits.
I can't imagine, that there will be such a specimen available in future.
Size: 5.1cm x 3.5cm x 3.0cm = 2" x 1.38" x 1.18"

As told 100% of the money will be spent for Oliver's help project in the
very region of Chiang Khan. Rarity of the material I don't have to
emphasise, we outlined it here on the list more than once. Price is more
than affordable, everyone on the list will agree (in former times I sold
Chiang Khan at 55Euro per gram, matching now with weak Dollar 73$/gm, so
it's 50% of realiter and for the European collectors it's now 28Euro/g, thus
etremely cheap for that extraordinnary fall).
And perhaps you may exhibit your specimen next year in Ensisheim, see
Zelimir's mail.
Stones of Chiang Kahn hit a fisherman in his boat on the Mekong. He's still
living there and thus a stronger evidence than an advocat, who didn't know
the cows, which lived 30years ago in Valera in person.

Payment can be done via Paypal, check, wire transfer, money order.....
Shipment to US (airmail, registered) is 5$ (if it will cost more, I'll pay).

So please, let Santa be proud of you!!
Martin